Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1308429

Date first listed: 09-Sep-1967



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CLEMENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308429 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 11-Dec-2018 at 17:44:19.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Grainthorpe

National Grid Reference: TF 38772 96582


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/13 Church of St. Clement 9.9.67 G.V. I

Parish church. c.1200, 1358, C14, C15, 1665 and 1876 restoration with chancel shortened by one bay and 1909 restoration. Ashlar, lined render. Lead roofs concealed behind parapets. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, north chapel, chancel, south porch. The C15 4 stage ashlar tower has moulded string courses, battlemented parapets with 8 pinnacles and corner buttresses surmounted by gargoyles. To the third stage on all but the east face are cusped 2 light windows, ogee heads to the lights and quatrefoil over. The belfry stage has paired cusped ogee headed openings with panel tracery and double chamfered surround. The west door has a concave moulded surround and traceried spandrels, in a moulded rectangular frame with shafts. The west window is of 3 cusped headed lights, panel tracery, continuously moulded surround and hood mould with human head stops. The rendered north aisle has a C14 window with 3 cusped ogee lights and reticulated tracery, an ogee headed north doorway with moulded hood and finial and human head stops, 3 light window in single chamfered 4 centred arched surround and a C14 5 light window with reticulated tracery, moulded head and hood and human head stops, and a similar, smaller 3 light window in the east wall. The C15 clerestorey consists of 4 triple windows, cusped heads to the lights and single chamfered 4 centred arched surrounds. The ashlar chancel has 2 three light reticulated windows, to each side and a similar repositioned window to the east. The rendered south aisle has a 3 light window to the east wall with pointed heads to the lights and a 4 centred arched surround, and there is a similar window in the west wall and 2 further similar windows in the south. The gabled south porch has single chamfered outer doorway with moulded hood, human head label stops. Single chamfered inner doorway with one human head label stop remaining to the left, and clasped purlin roof dated 1665. Interior has 4 bay arcades, the northern responds are annular and of c.1200, matching the spurred bases of the arcades. Otherwise C14 double chamfered arches with octagonal piers and capitals. The C15 tower arch with hollow chamfered octagonal responds, moulded capitals and double chamfered arch. The chancel arch has octagonal corbels with double chamfered arch. The nave and aisle roofs have substantial medieval timberwork including moulded principals and bosses. In the nave and south aisle walls are disposed C14 heads in a random manner. In the south aisle is a small piscina with octagonal base and in the north wall a C15 4 centred arched doorway to the rood loft, also visible in the south side of the aisle. In the north aisle a further arched piscina and a plain aumbry. Also in the aisles are traces of C15 painted decoration and script. In the chancel an arched braced roof incorporating medieval elements, supported by C19 carved corbels. Fittings. The C18 panelled tower screen has plain pilasters and a central doorway with elliptical head. Other C18 panelling probably reset is at the west end of the south aisle. The C15 font is a plain octagonal bowl on a pedestal. In the chancel a marble slab with the fragment of a fine brass consisting of foliated cross, 7'O" long. The stem and inscription have gone, but in the centre of the head is a 4 leaved ornament enclosing a cross. The base rests on a rock in the sea in which swim 5 fishes. It is thought to be a memorial to Stephen de See, Parson of Grainthorpe in 1384. In the chancel north wall a carved stone Gothic wall monument to the Crosland family d,1871. The chapel has founded in 1358 by Thomas de Kele and William de Wolfhowe.

Listing NGR: TF3877196582


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 195320

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing