- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- HARRINGTON HALL, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308532.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 17:24:26.
- Statutory Address:
- HARRINGTON HALL, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Lindsey (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 36744 71803
HARRINGTON CHURCH LANE
TF 37 SE (east side)
3/30 Harrington Hall 3.2.67
Country house. Late C16, built for the Copledykes, late C17 rebuilt by Vincent Amcotts. Altered and extended C18. Red brick with some blue brick, dressed stone and ashlar. Slate roof. Single red brick stacks to the ridge, left gable and rear. Brick coped gables with kneelers. Modillion cornice. Set on a chamfered dressed stone C16 plinth. First floor band. 2 storeys plus attic, 13 bays. With central 3 storey part C16 porch with deep parapet and set on a moulded plinth, blue brick diaper to the side walls. Thin octagonal angle buttresses rising to rectangular clasping buttresses. First floor moulded band. Giant Ionic pilasters traversing first and second floors. Doorway set into a projecting panel. Double panelled and part glazed door with overlight and fielded panel reveal with key stone, flanking the doorway are single ashlar mounting blocks each with 4 steps and panelled. Over the doorway is an ashlar sundial dated 1681. Either side are 6 C18 glazing bar sashes. Above are 13 glazing bar sashes with keystone to single central sash and blind rectangular panel over. The top floor of the porch has a single similar smaller sash and decorative keystone. In the attic are 6 segmental arched roof dormers with single glazing bar sashes. Surmounting the porch is a weather vane dated 1678. Attached to the left is a C18 red brick and slate 2 storey, 3 bay wing. Brick coped left gable with kneelers. Moulded cornice. 3 glazing bar sashes on each floor. Rear with C17 double gable to the south and single gable to the north, some C18 infilling. 3 giant order pilasters. First floor band and second floor band forming band to parapet. Brick plinth in parts. Single rectangular Artisan-Mannerist style panel. North end with C16 cavetto moulded ashlar mullion window with 4 semi-circular arched lights and recessed triangular panelled spandrels set onto a dressed stone chamfered plinth and with remains of dressed stone wall to the left. Brick relieving arch over. Interior. Porch with coved ceiling decorated with Greek key and foliate. Frieze with triglyph and guttae. Sides of porch with fielded panel seats with fluted Doric pilaster and fielded panel backs. Panelled inner door. Hall with early C18 moulded panelling to walls flanked by fluted pilasters. Pilasters also flank the windows. The angles of the room with fluted quarter columns. Wide elliptical arch with panelled soffit. Frieze with triglyph and guttae. Moulded panelled ceiling divided into rectangles and decorated with Greek key pattern. Morning room with some C16 panelling. Drawing room with c.1700 panelling with fluted Ionic pilasters. Moulded cornice. Dining room has panelled dado with thin bolection moulding. The fireplace is flanked by fluted pilasters. Egg and dart cornice. Study with similar panelling to the dining room, has a recessed blind fielded panel arch with keyblock. Leading to the staircase are 2 arched doorways with part glazed and panelled doors flanked by single narrow glazing bar and panelled strips. Either side are single fluted Doric pilasters, traceried fanlight with keyblock. Deep reveals to stair side also with keyblock. Early C18 open well staircase with 3 balusters to each tread, one being fluted and tapering, 2 twisted with richly moulded bases. Composite newels. Finely carved tread ends decorated with pine cones, foliage and flower heads. Moulded mahogany bannister. Fielded panel dado. The first floor with open landing and archways corresponding to those of the ground floor. Dentil cornice. Early C19 panelled ceiling with 4 winged cherubs. Bedroom with bolection panelling to most of the room. Deep moulded cornice. Boudoir with fielded panels, cornice and decorative ceiling to the west side. A long passage connects almost all the first floor rooms. Tower room with C16 panelling extending into the hall. Coved ceiling with heavy moulding, deep window seat. Passage with 2 arched cupboards with fielded panels, single similar blind arch. Blue bedroom with some fielded panelling and dentil cornice. Further small room with 5 sets of arches with fielded panel doors and fanlights with fielded panels. Dentil cornice. Egg and dart and modillion decorated ceiling with foliate centre. Back staircase C17 single flight with turned balusters with square knops and bases. 4 plain newels with single ball finials and deep moulded bannister. Balusters extend to both sides of the landing. Throughout are many panelled shutters, many doors with fielded panels and reveals. There are a number of C18 marble fireplaces with simple roll moulding. In the C14 the Manor passed from the de Harington family to the Copledykes and in 1673 the estate was bought by Vincent Amcotts. Country Life July 4, 1974.
Listing NGR: TF3674471803
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Country Life' in 4 July, (1974)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 27 Lincolnshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing