Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308562.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2021 at 12:39:58.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Hams (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 78437 63755




GV II Former water mill, now dwellings. Built alongside the River Dart c1790, heightened to one storey and extended by 1887, converted into offices in the 1930s, and into flats in the early C21.

MATERIALS: The former mill is built in stone rubble. It has a pitched slate roof with gabled ends.

PLAN: The tall, late-C19 three-storey mill with attic is rectangular in plan and the original mill is the two-window range at its south-west end. Attached to the northern end of the north-west elevation is a small single storey wing. The former late-C19 stable block is attached to the south-west end of the main building. The stable range is also rectangular in plan and stands at right angles to the mill building. EXTERIOR: The original mill is a two-window range, extended by five bays to the north-east in the late C19. The window openings, with segmental stone arches, contain C20 casement windows with glazing bars. The central bay of the late C19 extension, on the side facing the River Dart (south-east), has a doorway to each floor, now partly blocked to form windows which are slightly wider than the others. Over the south-west gable is a wrought iron weather vane. There are four C20 flat-roofed dormers to the south-east elevation. The former stable range, much altered, is two storeys high and its five window elevation faces the road.

INTERIOR: Not inspected. Photographic evidence (2010) indicates the survival of internal stone walls, ceiling beams and parts of the roof structure.

HISTORY: Staverton Mill was built c1790, as a water-driven corn mill situated on the north bank of the River Dart. By 1887 the mill had been further extended to the north-east, as indicated on the OS map published that year. The OS map published in 1905 labels the building as `Flour Mills'. In the 1930s the mill was converted to become the headquarters of Staverton Builders Ltd, a contracting firm established in 1929 by Leonard Elmhirst, owner of the nearby Dartington Hall Estate. Its first managing director was AE Malbon, former general manager to Welwyn Garden City, who served until 1957. Staverton Builders Ltd was the contractor on most buildings at the Dartington Estate, and grew to be one of the largest building contractors in the South West. It is best known for its involvement in introducing modernist architecture in the region.

Staverton Builders Ltd was sold by the Dartington Estate in 1976, and in the following decades Staverton Mill stood empty until its conversion into eight flats in the early C21.

SOURCES: Ordnance Survey Map, 1st edition, 1887 Ordnance Survey Map, 2nd edition, 1905 Dartington Archives, Staverton Builders Ltd 1930-1980, C/ST, High Cross House, Dartington, South Devon, UK

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: Nos 1-8 Staverton Mill, a former water-driven corn mill is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:

* Architectural Interest: the materials and external treatment of the elevations of this relatively early industrial building are of good quality, and make a strong architectural statement in this otherwise rural area. * Historic Interest: it illustrates and reflects the growth of the industrial processing of corn and of arable farming practices in the area during the C18 and C19. Additionally, from the 1930s the mill was used as offices by Staverton Buildings Ltd, set up by the Dartington Estate, who are well know for introducing modernist architecture to the region. * Group Value: it forms an interesting and important group with Staverton Bridge which is a Scheduled Ancient Monument, and listed at Grade I.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/06072/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ernie W. King. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].