This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

VINE COTTAGE AND CHURCH VIEW

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: VINE COTTAGE AND CHURCH VIEW

List entry Number: 1308572

Location

VINE COTTAGE AND CHURCH VIEW, CHURCH GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Terling

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Mar-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 115463

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 7714 TERLING CHURCH GREEN (north-west side)

11/115 Vine Cottage and Church View

GV II*

House, now 2 cottages. Early C14, altered in C15, C16, C18 and C20. Timber framed, plastered, roofed mainly with handmade red clay tiles, partly with slate. 2-bay aisled hall, both aisles present, facing SE, with inserted stack in left bay against front wall. 2-bay crosswing to left, with C19 external stack and C19 2-storey extension to left of it. C17/C18 one-bay extension to rear of crosswing, with C19 external stack at end, and lean-to extension in right rear angle, forming a catslide with the crosswing roof, with C19 internal stack. 3-bay crosswing to right of hall with lean-to extension forming a catslide to right, and C20 single-storey extension at rear right corner. Lean-to extension to rear of hall, forming a catslide with it; this is slated. Both crosswing roofs have gablet hips at the rear. Crosswings of 2 storeys, hall of one storey with attics. Ground floor, 3 early C20 casements, one C20 splayed bay below jetty of right crosswing. First floor, 2 similar casements, one more in gabled dormer, and one C20 casement. Both crosswings jettied to the front; 2 plain brackets exposed below left jetty. One C20 door at left end of hall (Vine Cottage), one plain boarded door below jetty of right crosswing (Church View). The upper part of the inserted stack has been rebuilt in the C20, retaining an inscription '1613 R.T.' in moulded brick in a recessed panel. The transverse beam of the inserted floor projects through the front wall of the hall at eaves level. The wallplates of both crosswings project through the plaster. The interiors are mainly plastered, but sufficient of the frame is visible to indicate significant differences of construction between the aisled hall and the 2 crosswings and successive phases of building. The arcade posts are unjowled. The rear arcade plate of the hall is visible in a cupboard of 'Vine Cottage', the brace to it removed; the remainder is enclosed. The front arcade plate is exposed across the top of the dormer, covered elsewhere. Doubled straight square bracing to the central tiebeam is visible from the roof. The roof is of simple collar-rafter construction, heavily smoke-blackened in the left bay, rebuilt in softwood in the right bay. These features, particularly the bracing, suggest a construction date for the hall in the early C14 or earlier. An axial bridging beam in 'Church View', chamfered with step stops, indicates that the floor was inserted before c.1570. A wide wood-burning hearth facing right, reduced for a C20 grate, has been inserted so as to leave the original cross-entry unobstructed (now the entrance-hall of 'Vine Cottage'); the doorways are not visible. The date 1613 may refer to a late alteration to the stack, or to the replacement of a timber-framed chimney (built before c.1570) by a brick stack. There is a dado of early C17 oak panelling in the right bay of the hall (in 'Church View'). The left crosswing has a complete crownpost roof, with cambered central tiebeam, short cross-quadrate crownpost of large section with broach stops and 4 rising braces. Little else of the structure is exposed, but the roof indicates that this crosswing is later than the hall, probably late C14. The right crosswing is constructed from the outset in 2 long bays and one short bay at the rear; the ground-floor partition between the middle and rear bays is exposed, with widely spaced studding and a doorway with 4-centred head. The roof is of plain collar-rafter construction. The doorhead indicates a C15 date, although the roof has more in common with the hall roof. This house is of exceptional historic interest in that aisled halls retaining both aisles are rare, and those mainly of manorial status. Here the small size and context indicate a lower status, probably of merchant origin. The apparent association with the parish church is misleading, for another street of houses existed in front of it until c.1843, but it may originally have faced on to a market place. A market and fair were established in Terling by 1331, which date is just compatible with the earliest part of this house. (W. Walker, Essex Markets and Fairs, Essex Record Office, 1981, 34). RCHM 8.

Listing NGR: TL7727314878

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Walker, W , Essex Markets and Fairs, (1981), 34

National Grid Reference: TL 77273 14878

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308572 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 01:04:05.

End of official listing