CHURCH OF ST VINCENT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1308689
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST VINCENT, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST VINCENT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308689 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 14:41:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST VINCENT, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Burton
National Grid Reference:
SK 96171 74590

Details

SK 97 SE BURTON CHURCH LANE

9/12 Church of St.Vincent 30-11-66

G.V. II*

Parish church. C12, C13, C14, 1678, 1795. Coursed limestone rubble, ashlar dressings, slate roofs. West tower, nave, chancel, vestry. Tower of 3 stages, 1678, with plinth, 2 moulded string courses, embattled parapet, angle pinnacles and clasped stepped buttresses to first stage only. North and south sides have single rectangular lights to first floor; belfry has large rectangular cross mullioned louvred lights in 4 directions. West doorway is a reused C12 opening, originally with a rounded head but somewhat reset to its present 3 centred shape. Nook shafts support reeded imposts, roll moulded head with fillet to billet moulded hood with scallops to outer face. Fine C17 fielded and panelled door with original hinges. Above is an inserted Cl.8 oval window. To second stage, a wooden lozenge shaped clock face. North side of the nave has a bow to accommodate a fireplace in the western gallery. Further east are 2 two light C14 windows with ogee heads and flat hood moulds. Vestry has in its west and north walls single windows with segmental heads and moulded reveals, divided into 2 halves by brattished transomes; below are 2 lights, above are 4 with cusped 3 centred arched heads. In the east wall is a C13 lancet. East wall of chancel has a fine C14 3 light reticulated window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, with hood mould and human head label stops. South wall of chancel contains a C14 3 light window with ogee heads to the lights and a flat hood mould, and in the nave south wall are 2 similar windows. Interior. In the tower vestibule are stairs to the gallery, with 6 panelled double doors above. Nave is entered through a 6 panelled door which has an eared surround to the east side. The semi-circular chancel arch has a single plain order and a second similar but chamfered arch opens into the vestry through the north wall of the chancel. West gallery of 1795 with dentillated cornice and panelled front. In the gallery is a fireplace at the north end installed by the 6th Baron Monson. The gallery is panelled to dado height. It contains an C18 Italian gilded altar piece with painting. 1919 carved oak screen, pulpit, reader's desk; all other fittings including the font are C19. At the west end, in the gallery, are 2 funeral hatchments. In the vestibule is a chantry board dated 1815. There are 2 C17 chests, one in the vestibule and the other in the vestry. In the east window is a circular panel of stained glass bearing the Monson arms. Monuments: Christopher Randes, d.l639, alabaster wall plaque, central carving with deceased kneeling opposite wife with children behind set in a square frame with fishscale cornice and above obelisks flanking a cartouche of arms with memento mori.

Listing NGR: SK9617174590

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196976
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/05611/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin W. Symons. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].