PARISH CHURCH OF ST NECTAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1308702
Date first listed:
30-Jun-1961
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST NECTAN

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST NECTAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308702 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 14:16:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST NECTAN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Devon
District:
Teignbridge (District Authority)
Parish:
Ashcombe
National Grid Reference:
SX 91218 79559

Details

SX 97 NW ASHCOMBE ASHCOMBE

8/4 Parish Church of St Nectan 30.6.61

GV I

Parish church. Fabric probably largely C13, north aisle added in the C15. Substantial restoration of the 1820s by Salvin, interior refurbished 1885 (plaque in church). Stone rubble with slate roofs. Plan: C13 cruciform plan, most of the lancet windows are restored but may be copies of the Early English originals ; north aisle added in the C15. Restoration and some rebuilding by Salvin in the 1820s with Gothick interior details. Exterior: chancel with set-back buttresses and a probably C19 Perpendicular east window ; lancet window on the north side. Lancet window and one Y tracery early C19 window on the south side. Transepts with set back buttresses, the south transept with single lancets to the east and west walls and a C19 Perpendicular window to the south wall. North transept with triple lancet east window, C19 Perpendicular north window. The aisle has 2 3-light cusped windows with depressed arches ; similar windows to the nave. 3-stage tapering battlemented unbuttressed tower with an internal north west stair turret. The west face has a C19 door to left of centre and a ground floor window with C19 Y tracery ; 3-light C19 window above with a depressed arch. C19 south porch with diagonal buttresses and a chamfered arched outer doorway below a niche, early C19 inner doorway with a good early C19 Gothick door with blind tracery, ceiled wagon roof with plaster moulded ribs with small bosses. Interior: Plastered walls ; rounded moulded chancel arch on moulded responds with carved capitals. 1820s tower arch flanked by pairs of engaged shafts with bell capitals, the arch decorated with Gothick panelling and applied flowers. North arcade with rounded moulded arches on carved capitals and plaster pendants above the capitals in the spandrels. Ceiled wagon roofs, with moulded ribs, 1820s Gothick ornamental gables at junction of walls plates and lateral ribs. The chancel has a low trefoil-headed piscina on the south side and a C20 reredos: a rounded arch on the south side may be a tomb recess. Fine probably C17 chair (not English) in the chancel with inset panels. The nave has a good gilded timber eagle lectern dated 1735, on a big turned stem ; C19 octagonal font on a pink marble stem with slender black marble shafts openwork font cover. Interesting and unusual set of C16 or C17 benches wih bench ends carved with 2 tiers of blind tracery, the borders carved with grotesques, reptiles and snakes. Probably C17 chair with inlaid back in nave. Memorials Wall tablet in chancel to Jane Parkyns, died 1817, signed Jago and Davey of Dawlish. Glass Fragments of late medieval C17 and C18 glass, including some Flemish roundels, leaded into the east window in patterns, north transept east window with memorial date 1885 probably by Drake of Exeter. A rare example for Devon of a largely C13 church. Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project.

Listing NGR: SX9121079558

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
85667
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04482/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Vickery. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].