- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308730 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Aug-2019 at 14:47:20.
- Statutory Address:
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Torridge (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 32746 21297
WOOLFARDISWORTHY WEST TOWN
SS 32 SW
5/220 Hammetts -
House formerly farmhouse. Circa late C15 altered probably in 1653 and modernised in late C20. Rendered stone rubble walls, possibly incorporating some cob. Gable-ended asbestos slate roof. Brick stack at left gable-end. Large C17 coursed squared rubble axial stack with dripmoulds and tapering cap. Plan: originally probably 2-room-and-through-passage plan, lower end to the left. Built as an open hall house with central hearth, divided only by low partitions. The house appears to have remained open to the roof until 1653 - a date in the plasterwork of the hall - when it was floored and a stack inserted into the hall backing onto the passage. A high quality chamber was created above it. The lower room fireplace is probably coeval although since altered. Evidently the lower room had a more functional purpose than the hall which became more of a hall/parlour. At the rear of the hall is a winder staircase in a projection and adjoining integral dairy at its higher end which are both part of the 1653 remodelling. In the later C20 the hall was subdivided and a passage created to its rear, a detached shippon adjoining the lower room was converted and a small linking range built. Exterior: 2 storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window front of late C20 2-light small-paned casments apart from a small earlier C20 leaded-light casement at centre on 1st floor. The 2 ground floor windows to the right have C17 stone hoodmoulds over them. To left of centre is probably original chamfered stone doorway with segmental arch and diagonal stops. C20 plank door with glazed panel. At left-hand end is short connecting range with converted shippon projecting from end of it. At rear left- hand part of house projects for staircase with a further projection for dairy at left-hand end. Interior: lower room has chamfered and unstopped cross beam. Replaced lintel to open fireplace which has cloam oven in side. Room to right of passage, formerly hall, has fireplace with ovolo-moulded and ogee-stopped lintel. On the end wall of the room beyond is a moulded plaster cornice with the date 1653 and initials PPIH. At the centre is a small plaster shield and to either side are plaster fleurnus. Stone winder stairs in projection at rear around solid core. There is only a thin partition between stairs and adjoining dairy. 1st floor fireplace over hall also has ovolo-moulded wooden lintel with fillet and ogee stops. In the roof-space there is evidence that there was formerly a plaster barrel ceiling over the 1st floor chamber at the higher end. Roof: one original roof truss survives just to the higher side of the hall stack apparently with curved feet which are now boxed in. The truss is of heavy scantling with mortices for a removed collar and a small yoke at the apex which the principals extend slightly above to clasp the ridge. A little below a C17 collar has been halved on with dovetail joints and there is a similar collar lower down. The original timbers are smoke-blackened; 1 other truss at the higher end has a lapped crossed apex and is probably later C17. C20 trusses over the lower end and rafters throughout. This house preserves some good quality C17 features and an interesting development of plan whilst also retaining evidence of its earlier origins.
Listing NGR: SS3274621297
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing
Images of England
Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.