Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308751.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2021 at 16:16:13.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 24151 64697


ROUGHTON MAIN STREET TF 26 NW (east side) 10/35 Church of St. Margaret II*

Parish church. C13, C14, C15, C16, C19. Squared greenstone rubble, squared limestone rubble, red brick in English bond, some render, slate roofs. Western tower, nave and chancel. The 2 stage C15 tower is built of squared greenstone rubble to the lower stage, with later C15 brick above, some render and ashlar dressings to the lower stage. It has a brick band below belfry level, a dogtooth cornice, a parapet, battlemented on the western face only with a wide central battlement having a small pediment over. The bell is housed in a wooden case above the tower, which is surmounted by a weather vane. 2 large clasping brick buttresses have been added to the western corners. The western doorway has a 4 centred arched head with shields in the spandrels and a roll moulded and concave surround. Above is a 2 light C15 window with cusped heads to the lights. To the belfry stage are 2 light openings with brick mullions, 4 centred heads to the lights which are set in a chamfered brick surround with hood mould over. The lower part of the nave is in squared limestone rubble, the upper part in later brickwork with dogtooth eaves. The north side is blank save for a blocked round headed doorway. The north side of the chancel is entirely in brick with dogtooth eaves and is blank. The east wall of the chancel has a 3 light C19 window. The south side of the chancel is partly rendered with brick patching and ashlar quoins. There are 2 C13 3 light windows, one with cinquefoil plate tracery, the other with intersecting tracery and a trefoil in the head. There is a pointed priest's doorway. The south side of the nave is in squared limestone rubble with the upper part in brick as north side. A central blocked doorway is flanked by 2 C19 2 light windows. In the tower east wall 2 pitch lines of earlier nave roofs can be seen. Interior. The C15 tower arch has octagonal responds and a single chamfered pointed arch. The chancel arch is pointed but unmoulded. In the chancel is an aumbry with pierced wooden screen. The roofs are C19. Fittings. The C12 circular font has a fine C16 wooden cover. There is a C17 oak chest and a C18 panelled pulpit with later barley twist balusters and Ionic fluted and knopped newel. The chancel brass candelabrum is C18. All other fittings are C19 although the low chancel screen may incorporate some C14 panels and the pew ends are probably C16. At the west end of the nave are 2 commandment boards. Monuments In the chancel is an alabaster wall plaque to Norres Fynes d.1735 and a circular slate plaque to Rev. Arthur Rockcliffe d.1798. In the nave is a marble plaque to Charles Pilkington d.1798.

Listing NGR: TF2415164697


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/08415/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger H Mockford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].