This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HANBY HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HANBY HALL

List entry Number: 1308757

Location

HANBY HALL, 15, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Alford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195527

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ALFORD CHURCH STREET TF 4476-4576 (south side) 5/5 No,15,(Hanby Hall) 20-5-53 G.V. II*

House. Early C18, parapet added and interior modified in 1735 with late C18 additions. Built for Sir Richard Hanby. Red brick in Flemish bond with rubbed brick dressings, having deeply hipped plain tiled roof with 2 ridge stacks. L-plan. 2 storey plus attics, 6 bay front, originally 5, arranged 2:1:2, the centre bay being slightly advanced and the right hand end bay a later C18 addition. First floor eaves band and panelled parapet. Central 6 panelled door with late C18 traceried fanlight in fluted wooden Doric surround with triglyph frieze to pediment. To left are 2 glazing bar sashes and to right 3 similar windows. To first floor are 6 further sashes, all windows have flat rubbed brick arches. To the roof are 3 glazing bar sash dormers with pediments, the central one being segmental. To the right hand side of the original 5 bay front is a cast iron rainwater pipe with fluted hopper dated 1735. Interior retains fine dog leg staircase with 3 knopped and turned balusters per tread, moulded handrail, and carved string, with elaborate fluted newels. The stair hall is fully panelled with decorative plaster ceiling and over the first floor landing is a Roccoco plaster ceiling with egg and dart cornice. The hall has a diamond flagged stone floor. The 2 front rooms also have full height panelling.

Listing NGR: TF4555376017

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 45553 76017

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308757 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2018 at 09:39:47.

End of official listing