SHIREBURN COTTAGES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1308779

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 22-Nov-1983

Statutory Address: SHIREBURN COTTAGES, 1-6, AVENUE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SHIREBURN COTTAGES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308779 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 02:44:24.

Location

Statutory Address: SHIREBURN COTTAGES, 1-6, AVENUE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Ribble Valley (District Authority)

Parish: Aighton, Bailey and Chaigley

National Grid Reference: SD 68442 38250

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 63 NE AIGHTON, BAILEY & CHAIGLEY AVENUE ROAD

Nos 1 to 6 8/5 (Shireburn Cottages) 29.12.52 (formerly listed under Hurst Green)

CV II*

Almshouses, 1706. Removed from Kemple on Longridge Fell and re-built in 1946 when a first floor was added to the wings and the number of doorways opening off the courtyard was reduced from ten to four. Squared, coursed sandstone with stone slate roof. The building comprises a main block with projecting pedimented centre and two wings running forwards to form a courtyard. This is enclosed by a stone balustrade. Because the original site sloped the front of the courtyard and wings is raised on a masonry base, the courtyard being approached by a flight of 10 semi- circular stone steps. The original parts of the building have ovolo- moulded cross windows in plain stone surrounds. The central pedimented section is of 3 bays with projecting quoins and a bolection-moulded door surround. Above the door a plaque records the rebuilding. Above the 1st floor windows is inscribed 'Shireburns Almshouses'. Within the pediment are the arms of Shireburne in lead, it being topped by 3 vases. On each side of this central section of the mainblock are 2 pairs of windows on the ground floor. In the angle with each projecting wing is a door with plain stone surround, the left-hand one inscribed 'Aighton', the right-hand one inscribed 'Chaigley'. The return walls of the projecting wings each have a similar doorway, the left-hand (north) one inscribed 'Bailey' and the right-hand one 'Ribchester'. To the east of each doorway are paired windows, with a single window to the west. On the 1st floor are C20th mullioned windows in keeping. The gables of the wings have 2 windows on the ground floor, moulded plaques on the 1st floor recording the original townships, gable copings with finials and roundels representing cocks, with plain stone surrounds.



Listing NGR: SD6844238250

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 182889

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing