This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1308792

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Little Totham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 119002

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 81 SE LITTLE TOTHAM CHURCH LANE

4/194 Church of All Saints

30.12.59 GV I

Parish Church. Cl2 Nave, C13 rebuilt and enlarged Chancel, C16 West Tower with part possibly C17/C18 top structure. C19 south porch. Plastered walls, probably of flint rubble, base of west tower brick with knapped flint facing, timber framed and weatherboarded upper storeys. Chancel. Early C13 east window of 3 graduated lancets, C13 recut lancet to north wall. South wall eastern window is a widened and restored C13 lancet, the C16 western window of moulded terra-cotta is of 2 cinquefoiled lights in a square head. Nave. North wall, 2 windows, the eastern a lancet and the western a 3 light casement in a timber surround, diamond leaded, the centre light with a swan's head catch. Between the windows is the early C12 doorway with plain jambs, round arch and chamfered imposts. C12/C13 nailed 5 board door, with reversed C to upper strap hinge and wrought lower strap. South wall C15 east window of 2 cinquefoiled lights in a square head with moulded label. C13 western restored lancet. Very fine south doorway c.1160 with a round arch of 3 orders, the inner of squares and diapered, the outer 2 moulded with fleuron billet and crenellated enrichments, billet enrichment to moulded label. Square inner order to jambs. 2 detached shafts with plain bases,foliated capitals each of a different design and banding bosses each with face and side compass point discs. Late C13 nailed door of 4 feathered battens with strap hinges, C15 foliated scutcheon plate. C19 porch, timber framed and weatherboarded, brick plinth. Gabled red plain tiled roof of side purlin construction. West Tower. Knapped flint ground floor with stone dressings to buttresses, stair turret and 2 stage plinth angles. Loop light to stair turret. West doorway has moulded jambs and 4 centred arch in a square head with traceried spandrels and moulded labels, a shield dated 1527 over. The timber framed and weatherboarded upper stages with short red tiled spire and slanting red tiled roof to stair turret. The frame incorporates early timber but is of a later date. Interior. Chancel roof of 7 cants with moulded wall plates and one plain tie beam. Piscina, moulded trefoiled head, defaced label, moulded capitals and bases to shafted jambs, chamfered shelf,no drain. C19 wrought iron altar rails. Fine altar tomb monument against south wall of Sir John Sammes (buried at Isendike) and Isabell (Garrard) his wife. Mid C17. Marble. Shelf with central inscribed pedimented panel to left and right of which and facing each other are a kneeling man and woman in attitudes of prayer. The man in armour, the woman in mourning shroud. Behind the figures are 2 arched recesses flanked by moulded pilasters. In a recess below the central panel is another kneeling male figure in armour, with legs missing, probably Sir Garrard Sammes, son of the above. In place of the chancel arch is a moulded and crenellated tie beam with wall posts and spandrels with scalloped soffits. The C15 Nave roof of 7 cants, ceiled and plastered. Simple wall plate. 3 tie beams with wall posts and arched braces. Carved head corbels to eastern tie beam. No arched braces to western tie beam. The C19 pulpit incorporates early C17 panelling and frieze carved with foliage. C15 font, octagonal with moulded top edge and different forms of tracery to each face. Modern stem and base. The incomplete tower arch has original semi-octagonal responds with moulded bases, now with chamfered segmental pointed head. RCHM 1.

Listing NGR: TL8841210322

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TL 88412 10322

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308792 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 12:43:29.

End of official listing