This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

List entry Number: 1308852

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: West Devon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Meeth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 93295

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MEETH MEETH SS 50 NW 3/180 Church of St Michael - 22.2.67 GV II* Parish Church. Some Norman fabric with C14 and C15 additions, restored and extended in 1893. Stone rubble walls with some large dressed granite blocks to tower. Gable ended slate roof. Vestry has projecting gable end rubble stack with octagonal stone ashlar crenellated shaft. Plan: nave, chancel, west tower, south porch and vestry to north of chancel. The nave is probably basically a Norman structure judging from its south doorway and a window in its north wall. The chancel may date from the same time but was extended and refitted in the restoration of 1893 when the vestry was added on its north side. The west tower may be a C14 addition and the south porch was built in the C15. Exterior: 3 stage crenellated tower with plain pinnacles and no buttresses. No west doorway. 2-light granite mullion window on first stage with segmental heads. Rectangular stair projection on north side which extends only half way up the tower. At west end of north wall of nave is probably C20 roundheaded lancet window with chamfered stone surround. Vestry projects in small wing from north side of chancel. 3-light Perpendicular style east window dating from 1893 restoration, with buttress below it. On south side of chancel is restored square-headed 2-light window and a 3- light Perpendicular style restored window to its west. Shallow rectangular rood stair projection between them. C15 gabled single storey south porch has granite 4-centred double roll- and hollow-moulded arched doorway with incised scroll stops and hoodmould. Interior: porch has patterned cobbled floor with date 1818 outlined in design. Partly restored wagon roof with moulded ribs, carved bosses and crenellated wall plate with high relief carving on it. Plain C12 south doorway with double roundheaded arch, outer one chamfered with high relief carved balls and stars around the top. Plain jambs with imposts. Plain pointed tower arch. C15 wagon roof to nave has moulded ribs, carved bosses of various designs and trailing foliage design wall-plates. Chancel has restored boarded wagon roof. C17 semi-octagonal panelled pulpit. Square Norman font with 4 moulded corner shafts and central stem. It has a C17 wooden pyramidal cover with finial. On the north wall is a good plaster relief of the royal arms which has a pediment above and column to either side. Inscription at bottom reads "Hanibal Jerman and John Tawton. Church wardens in 1704". Slate wall memorial in tower dated 1611 to Elizabeth Hitchins. Slate wall memorial on south wall of nave to Samuel Jerman, died 1758 detailing below how he left money for charity. This is a very simple church but it has some good quality detail and the C19 restoration has added to rather than detracted from the building. Source: Kelly's Directory - 1906.

Listing NGR: SS5480508287

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1906)

National Grid Reference: SS5480508287

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308852 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 05:52:43.

End of official listing