CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1308856

Date first listed: 30-Dec-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, EAST END ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST THOMAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308856 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 20:27:20.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, EAST END ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Maldon (District Authority)

Parish: Bradwell-on-Sea

National Grid Reference: TM 00416 06840

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 0006 BRADWELL-ON-SEA EAST END ROAD

10/22 Church of St. Thomas

30.12.59 GV II*

Parish church. C14 Chancel and South Porch. Nave rebuilt and West Tower added circa 1706. C19 Northorgan Chamber, partial rebuilding of Chancel and restorations, some by Chancellor 1864. Chancel and organ chamber walls of flint, rubble and septaria, stone eaves cornice. Nave walls of brick and stone and tower of red brick. Limestone dressings. Red plain tiled roofs of 2 levels. Chancel. East wall with angle buttresses. C19 5 light windows with tracery over, 2 centre arched head. Roundel with trefoil to gable apex. Cross finial. South and north walls with 2 and one window each respectively, 2 light with tracery over, 2 centre arched heads. There is a buttress between the south windows. North Organ Chamber. Lean-to with Caernarvon head doorway to east wall and a 2 light window with trefoiled head. High up on the Nave east wall C16 corbel frieze of moulded brick trefoils. North wall with five 2 light trefoil windows with tracery over, 2 centre arched heads. South wall with 4 similar windows and angle buttresses. There are 10 carved stone faces over the windows. South doorway, moulded 2 centre arched head, foliate capitals and moulded bases to shafts, vertically boarded double doors. South porch, 2 bays of 3 lights, moulded and cambered tie beams with moulded arched braces to centre beam. Collars to each rafter pair. Ogee arched entrance and sidelights. 3 niches to gable apex. Front returns each with 3 cusped and traceried lights, moulded mullions and posts, 3 rear lights plain. Dated 1706 West Tower of red brick is crenellated of 3 stages with angled buttresses to western angles. Band follows through third stage. 2 leaded and cross transomed round headed windows to north and south faces, similar sounding louvres to all faces of belfry. C19/C20 2 centre arched west doorway, shafts with moulded capitals, bases eroded. Dog tooth moulding over. Double vertically boarded doors. Above this door a plaque relates the building of the steeple. Small doorway with segmental head to south wall, clock above second window. Small niche to right of clock. Weathervane to apex. Interior. Chancel. Roof of 4 bays, side purlin queen strut construction with braces to purlins. 1925 stained glass to east window. 1904 sedilia of carved wood with corn, vine and lily motifs. Wall brasses on north wall, (1) Margaret Wyott 1526, woman in a pedimental head-dress. (2) early C16 shield of arms, 3 owls and a sinister quarter impaling 4 bars on a bend of 3 scallops. (3) Thos. Debanke 1606 - inscription. (4) Johannes Debanke 1601. Chancel arch C14 2 centred of 2 moulded orders, 3 attached moulded shafts. Nave. C18 roof of 7 bays, double side purlins, raking struts, plain tie beams with king posts. Mortised to hold ceiling joists which have not survived. C14 octagonal font, moulded soffit. 4 carved faces to bases of alternate angles, round stem, chamfered base. C19 stone pulpit with green marble shafts to angles. Cruciform and dogtooth decoration, red marble panels. C19 and C20 stained glass to most windows. West 2 bay gallery, now glazed-in. Royal hatchment over central doors. C.A. Hewett, "Church Carpentry" 1974. RCHM 2.

Listing NGR: TM0041606840

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 119199

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
An Inventory of Essex South East, (1923)
Hewett, C A, Church Carpentry, (1974)

End of official listing