This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST. OSWALD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. OSWALD

List entry Number: 1308887

Location

CHURCH OF ST. OSWALD, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Warton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 182018

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 47 SE WARTON MAIN STREET (West side)

3/250 Church of St. Oswald 2. 5. 1968 II

Church, late C15th with a C14th south aisle wall and a C16th north aisle and north arcade. Restored 1848, when the south arcade was rebuilt, and 1842 when the clearstorey and north aisle windows were renewed and the roof reconstructed (V.C.H. Vol.8 p.153). Pebbledashed with sandstone dressings and slate roof. The church comprises a west tower, north and south aisles with clearstoreys and a chancel roofed continuously with the nave. The tower has diagonal buttresses, a late C19th battlemented parapet with pinnacles and 3-light bell openings of similar date. The west wall has a doorway of 2 chamfered orders with hood mould, now partly blocked. The north aisle has mullioned windows with round heads to the lights. At the west end is the doorway of 2 hollow-chamfered orders, with a hood mould. Above is a small niche with an ogee head having a decorated shield. The north and east chancel windows are late C19th with perpendicular tracery. The south aisle has a late C15th window with perpendicular tracery in its east wall, with 2 similar windows with square heads in the south wall. On each side of the C19th south porch is an early C14th window with reticulated tracery. Interior has 6-bay arcades with octagonal piers and no chancel arch. In the chapel at the east end of the south aisle is a triple sedilia with trefoil arches. Set into the tower wall is a stone block with the coat of arms of The Washington Family, formerly on the outside of the tower. The cylindrical font, at the west end of the south aisle is set on a base dated '1661'. The roof has softwood king posts and cusped decoration. Windows contain glass of various C19th dates.

Listing NGR: SD4982972316

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1914), 153

National Grid Reference: SD 49829 72316

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308887 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 02:06:04.

End of official listing