CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1308903

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, PARSONAGE LANE, BARNSTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308903 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 19:33:50.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, PARSONAGE LANE, BARNSTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Barnston

National Grid Reference: TL 65232 19624

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 61 NE 7/27

BARNSTON, PARSONAGE LANE, Church of St Andrew

(Formerly listed as Barnston Parish Church Dedication Unknown)

20.2.67

II*

Church, comprising Nave c.1160-1170, probably of flint rubble but now plastered, at the west end is a rectangular timber framed bell turret of re-used medieval timber. The Chancel was probably rebuilt C13. The whole is plastered externally, with a plain buttress to NE Chancel wall and 2 red brick, two stage buttresses to East wall. The roofs are plain red tile. The octagonal, wooden bell cote, reputed to be C17 has supports enclosing ogee arches, an octagonal head, surmounted by a matching finial and weather vane. It is set on a square base astride the west ridge and has 2 bells, reputed to be of c.1665. The East window is C19 3 light early English style. The South wall has 6 windows, from East to West (1) a restored 2 light window, (2) possibly a C13 low side window, enlarged, with a segmental pointed head, (3) C15, cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery under a square head, (4) C19, 2 lights with pointed heads, (5) a rectangular wooden framed window immediately under the eaves and (6) a small segmental pointed head wooden framed window. (5) and (6) with diamond leaded lights. West wall has 2 small segmental pointed timber framed windows with diamond paned leaded lights. North wall windows East to West. (1) Restored C19 two light similar to that in South wall, (2) a small C13 lancet with chamfered and rebated jambs and head, (3) Restored 3 lights with square head, (4) and (5) C12 round headed lights, 4 now blocked. Between these 2 windows is the blocked late C13/early C14 door with hollow chamfered jambs and 2 centre arch. The C12 South doorway has a moulded semi-circular arch of 2 orders, the outer original and the inner with C19 tympanum. The outer order of the jambs has attached shafts with scalloped capitals, adjoining the west capital is a spiral ornament. The door is probably C16 with feathered battens and ornamented strap hinges. Internally the roof is plastered and of 6 and 7 cants. The Nave has 2 moulded tie beams with 4 centred arch braces and moulded wall plates. The western partition wall has C20 panelling and 2 matching panelled supports to a small gallery which houses a Barrel Organ. This organ was built about 1790 by Bevington and has 5 Barrels with 8 hymns to each. The stairs to the gallery incorporate 3 C16 Balusters. Fittings and Monuments. In SW window a possibly C14 panel, made up with C19 glass. Brass inscription on south wall to Peter Wood, 30 May 1525. Floor slabs in Nave and Chancel to the Scott, Collard, Style and Exton families. A fine Piscina in Chancel probably c.1200 - Double, with moulded interlacing semi- circular arches, resting on a free shaft and jambs with attached shafts, all with foliated capitals and moulded bases. Arches set in square moulded head with foliated spandrels. Central lintel and responds with moulded and foliated imposts, quatrefoil drains. (RCHM 1)

Listing NGR: TL6523219624

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 122491

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Essex North West, (1916)

End of official listing