CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1308904

Date first listed: 23-Aug-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308904 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 05:04:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF SAINT MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Teignbridge (District Authority)

Parish: Trusham

National Grid Reference: SX 85592 82176

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TRUSHAM CHURCH LANE Trusham SX 88 SE

3/249 Church of Saint Michael - 13.8.55 GV II*

Parish church. First Rector 1260. Reconsecrated 1259 by Walter Bronsecombe, Lord Bishop of Exeter. Surviving structure mostly C15-C16, restored 1890. Rendered stone rubble with granite and Beer stone dressings. Dry slate roofs with coped gable ends. Nave, chancel, west tower, north aisle and south porch. Slender west tower of 2 stages. Round headed west entrance doorway with date 1641 carved in granite arch stone. Relieving arch over. Granite window above with 2 arched headed lights and relieving arch. Small slit window at higher level to south wall. Continuous string course above this. Granite windows to top stage each with 2 arched lights and hoodmoulds to north west and south sides. Further granite string to base of rubble parapet with granite copings to battlements. West window of north aisle is C19 in freestone, Perpendicular style. 3 windows to north wall of north aisle are C15 Perpendicular with Beer stone tracery, cinquefoil headed lights to left one and trefoils to other two. Left window also has beerstone lower frame and mullions, others are granite. North chancel, 2-light, window is freestone, flat headed with trefoil tracery. East chancel window is C19 freestone in Decorated style with pointed label and carved stops. South wall has 2 identical C19 Perpendicular style freestone windows close to porch left and towards stair turret right of porch. Stair turret links nave to chancel. C20 lean-to vestry to right. Porch has rendered pointed doorway with granite imposts. Inner granite doorway is chamfered and similar to tower one but slightly pointed. Carved armoured angel in niche over. Interior has ogee moulded waggon C15/C16 roofs to nave, chancel and north aisle. Chancel ceiling panels have painted stylised plant decoration. Wave moulded standard B (Pevsner) piers to 3-bay arcade with 4 centred arches between nave and north aisle. Cushion bases to responds. Several original rear arches. Rounded rubble tower arch; C19 oak bell frame. Granite newel stair to rood loft with round headed granite doorway. Narrow pointed granite doorway from vestry. Piscina on shaft in chancel of reused Norman fragment with pellet moulded lower border. Fittings include round Norman font with roll mouldings; C19 cover; C15/C16 oak roof screen with some original timber in base but mostly C19 reconstruction; C19 pine pews with moulded rectangular ends; C19 reredos with cinquefoils, crocketed pinnacles, guilloche and trailing vine frieze between with brattishing and painted wall decoration above; C19 oak polygonal pulpit and C17 oak chest with 3 locks. Principal monuments are to John Staplehill 1593 in chancel north wall with painted praying figures on wood of himself, his wife, 4 sons and 4 daughters all within arched recess with inscribed brass under; also very fine is marble pedimented classical aedicule, to John Stooke and Mary his wife, with Corinthian capitals enclosing portraits within oval medallions attached to east wall of aisle. Further monuments to Stooke family on south wall of nave, one to William Stooke 1677 and sons William 1676 and James 1677 with steep pediment surmounted by hour glass and flanked by ball finials with skull and cross bones in tympanum.

Listing NGR: SX8559282176

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 84690

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing