WORLD'S END FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1308939

Date first listed: 07-Aug-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Nov-1984

Statutory Address: WORLD'S END FARMHOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of WORLD'S END FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1308939 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 12:10:13.

Location

Statutory Address: WORLD'S END FARMHOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Braintree (District Authority)

Parish: Pebmarsh

National Grid Reference: TL 84165 32163

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PEBMARSH TL 83 SW 3/90 (28/597) World's End Farmhouse (formerly listed as World's End 7.8.52 House) - II* House. Late C16. Timber framed, plastered with exposed framing at front, roofed with handmade red clay tiles. 4 bays facing SW, with one original rear chimney stack and another rebuilt in C20. Rear stair tower. Single-storey lean-to extension at right end, C19. 2 storeys and attics. Full-length jetty with exposed joists and beams and 5 plain brackets. 3 early C19 sashes of 24 lights on ground floor, 3 C20 casements on first floor. C20 door in position of original door. Also on ground floor, 4 blocked original windows, ovolo-moulded, each with one ovolo mullion, and 4 similar windows on first floor, of which 3 have the original ovolo mullion. Evidence of 2 former oriels and a former single-storey porch below the jetty, no oriels at first floor. Original sprockets on rear elevation and both sides of stair tower. The interior has jowled posts and some exposed close studding with curved braces trenched in. In the left bay, an ovolo-moulded axial beam, the joists plastered to the soffits. In the middle room, beams and joists ovolo-moulded with step stops. In the right bay, plain joists of horizontal section. Mortices for a removed partition on the first floor. One unglazed window in rear wall, complete with 4 diamond mullions. Original second floor throughout, with rebated boards. In the left gable of attic, blocked window with ovolo mouldings. Clasped purlin roof with arched wind-bracing. The stair tower has original solid treads round a small square well. This building retains an exceptional number of original features of c.1570, with less subsequent alteration than is usually found. Moated site. RCHM 4.

Listing NGR: TL8416532163

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 114888

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing