CHURCH OF ST JAMES
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JAMES
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309051.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 27-Oct-2021 at 02:14:51.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JAMES
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- West Devon (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SS 56900 08226
SS 50 NE
4/126 Church of St James
Parish church. C13 origins but main fabric dates to C15, partly rebuilt in 1846-8
and restored in 1879. Coursed slate stone rubble walls incorporating some granite
ashlar to buttresses of tower. Gable ended slate roof with late C19 decorative
Plan: nave, chancel, north aisle and chapel. west tower and south porch. Although
the earliest fabric of the church dates mainly to the C15 the earliest feature is a
C13 effigy in the north chapel. A partial rebuilding of some of the walls was
undertaken in 1846-8. The vestry was added at the west end of the north aisle in
Exterior: 4 stage west tower with angle buttresses, battlemented with crocketted
pinnacles. Gargoyle of crouching animal figure at top of each buttress. 2-light
granite belfry openings with segmental headed lights apart from on east side which
has cinquefoiled heads. Limestone west doorway with 2-centred head richly moulded
with trailing vine carving in high relief, now much eroded. Large restored
Perpendicular west window and smaller window above. Rectangular stair projecting on
north side of tower. C19 vestry between north aisle and tower. North aisle has 3
partly restored tall 3-light Perpendicular windows. Similar east window to aisle
has granite panel below carved with flower and heraldic arms devices. East window
completely restored Perpendicular as is 2-light window on south window to nave which
retains only its original granite jambs and mullions.
1 storey gabled south porch has granite roundheaded doorway with double rollmoulded
arch and hoodmould above. Small slate sundial above dated 1720. To west of porch
nave has 2 early C16 trefoil headed windows one above the other - possibly
signifying an early gallery at the west end of the nave.
Interior: tall 3 bay granite arcade with Pevsner A-type piers with moulded cup
capitals and 4-centred moulded arches. Rebuilt plastered chancel arch and arch to
north chapel. Tall 4-centred undecorated tower arch. Internal walls have C20 render
Original wagon roofs survive with high relief moulding to ribs and carved bosses.
Partly restored carved wall-plates. Chancel roof has been set onto C19 angel
corbels. Early C17 semi-octagonal panelled pulpit with integral carved lectern and
top panels carved with strapwork design. Section of C15 screen with Perpendicular
tracery to north chapel - this was renovated in 1883. Octagonal granite font with
carved panels and moulded shaft - churchwarden's accounts suggest a date of 1538.
It has a good C17 pointed wooden cover with finials at top and the corners and a
frieze of strapwork and foliage design.
C13 effigy of Knight under low arch on north wall of chapel believed to be one of
the Sully family who probably founded the church. The figure has chain armour and
flat helmet and holds a shield.
Good slate wall memorial of 1681 on north wall of chancel. To Wilmot Veale, wife of
the rector. Inscription in gothic script with high relief carved figure of woman
and child to the right.
Source: Beatrix Cresswell - Notes on Devon Churches - Deanery Churches in the
Deanery of Torrington; Kelly's Directory 1906
Listing NGR: SS5689808222
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Torrington, (1925)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1906)
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing