Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1309158

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309158 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 17:13:04.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Kesteven (District Authority)

Parish: Corby Glen

National Grid Reference: TF 00136 25002


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



3/77 AND 6/77 Church of St.John


G.V. I

Parish church. C12, late C13, C14, early C15, restored 1860. Ashlar, coursed limestone rubble, ashlar dressings, lead roofs. Western tower, nave with clerestory, aisles, chancel, south porch. The C12 3 stage tower has 2 chamfered string courses, a single clasping buttress to south west angle and C15 ashlar belfry stage with battlemented parapet having quatrefoil frieze, gargoyles and paired cusped louvred lights in hollow chamfered surrounds. On the south side to the second stage are 2 narrow stair lights. The north aisle wall of ashlar is late C13 having chamfered pointed doorway with to west a quatrefoil and to east a 3 light window with Geometric roundels and beyond a further 3 light window with intersecting tracery. The aisle was lengthened in the C15 and 2 three light windows with cusped heads and 4 centred chamfered surrounds were added. The 4 nave clerestory windows are similar. The chancel east window is of 3 cusped lights with C19 panel tracery over. In the south wall are 3 matching 3 light windows under 4 centred arches with brattished transomes. The C15 south aisle has a single 3 light east window and 3 similar south windows, all with cusped heads to the lights and moulded 4 centred arched surrounds. The C14 2 storey south porch has a pointed outer arch with shafted reveals and moulded hood. To the parapeted and pinnacled gable is a small 2 light window with trefoil heads to the lights and moulded hood. Similar pairs of windows are found in the side walls. Sidebenches. The C14 inner doorway is moulded and pointed with hood. Interior. Late C14 4 bay nave arcades with clustered annular shafts, engaged octagonal capitals, moulded arches and hoods. The nave roof is supported on contemporary grotesque corbels. The tall C14 tower arch has moulded reveals, annular moulded hood with florate stops. The C13 double chamfered chancel arch, dying to the reveals, has beside it the doorway to the rood loft. Above can be seen the earlier roof pitch and a blocked window. In the south aisle is a reset C14 embattled statue bracket and a fine double piscina having cusped canopies and pinnacles. In the north aisle is a small ogee headed niche, and further east a single chamfered arched tomb recess. In the north wall of the chancel are 2 C15 moulded arches to the north chapel and 3 C19 arched openings in the Sanctuary. On the walls of the nave and aisles is an extensive scheme of C14 and early C15 wall painting including scenes of King Herod, Magi, Virgin and Child, St. Anne teaching the Virgin, a gigantic St. Christopher. 7 Deadly Sins, Warning to Swearers and a Tree of Jesse. In the quatrefoil north aisle window is a C15 stained glass figure and other fragments of medieval glass are in other windows. Fittings. Near the south door is a C15 iron bound oak chest. C17 turned baluster altar rails. A complete set of panelled box pews, those in the aisles are C18, the rest are C19 but matching. The C13 font has an octagonal bowl with stop chamfers to the square base which is now supported on a free standing marble shaft added in 1893. Monuments. In the chancel are 2 large stone C15 ledger slabs for brasses. In the north chapel an oval monument with elaborate roccoco surround to Frances Wilcox d.1764, and in the north aisle are 3 other C18 wall plaques by Hawley of Colsterworth having fine ribbon work and classical flourishes.

Listing NGR: TF0013725003


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 194051

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing