This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

HOLY TRINITY PARISH CHURCH

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HOLY TRINITY PARISH CHURCH

List entry Number: 1309193

Location

HOLY TRINITY PARISH CHURCH, CHISHILL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Heydon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 17-Dec-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52950

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 4239 HEYDON CHISHILL ROAD (South-East Side) 23/137 Holy Trinity Parish Church GV II* Parish Church. Late C15 nave, north and south aisles and south porch. Vestry and chancel c.1866 Early English style. 'Church destroyed by Nazis in Battle of Britain 1940, Chancel restored 1952, Church completed 1956, Consecrated by Bishop of Chelmsford July 21 1956', inscribed on plain spandrels of north door. Tower and part of north aisle, roofs to nave, aisles and porch, and former embattled parapets capped with copper sheets c.1955. Walls of flint rubble with limestone and clunch dressings and reused material, C20 dark red brick, lead and copper roof coverings; chancel with C19 plain tiles. South elevation. Square-planned red brick tower coursed in english bond with wooden belfry louvred on each side and with copper clad pyramidal roof with an ovolo finial surmounted by a weather vane. Nave, aisle and south porch, coeval with capped parapets and moulded cornices. Four large grotesque gargoyles. Three clerestory windows of two cinquefoil-lights with spandrels and quatrefoil recessed in flat chamfered arches; similar windows side-light the porch. Three aisle windows, restored, of two cinquefoil-lights with vertical tracery recessed in moulded four-centred arches with moulded labels. Chamfered plinth continuous around porch and buttresses of two stages with offsets. South porch unbuttressed with two-centred archway restored with semi octagonal responds, moulded caps and bases. South door C15, with integral moulded ribs to feathered boards studded to rear frame. Chancel of two unequal bays with three cusped lancet-lights with labels and head stops; roll-moulded string below cill and continuous around buttresses of two stages and above two-centred arched priest's doorway; parapet gable with cross finial. Interior: Nave arcades of four bays (north arcade rebuilt), with two-centred arches of two moulded chamfered orders with moulded labels and foliate stops to nave, piers with four semi octagonal shafts each with moulded caps and bases. Plain painted brick tower arch and interior walls. C15 chancel arch, two-centred of two chamfered orders with moulded label and semi octagonal moulded bases. East window with three lancet-lights divided by marble columns with roll-moulded inner arches. Two-centred arch to north vestry used as organ chamber. Reredos of coloured marble blind arcade with gilded mosaic vine and cross designs in panels, C19. Font, C14 restored, with plain octagonal bowl and pedestal with moulded plinth. Fragments of C15 glass in south aisle windows; east window by Kempe, south windows of chancel by Kempe and Tower. Wrought iron corona lucis; brass lectern donated by Maydelene College Cambridge 1909, with twisted pedestal and three supports capped with fleur-de-lys. Monuments in north vestry. White marble tablet to M.S. Horseman d.1881; white marble tablet to James Vaughan Esq d.1788; marble cartouche with floral swags, angel head at base and with mask and cartouche of arms at head supported by two cherubs, inscription indistinct, C18; black marble floor slab to Sir Peter Soame d.1798 and two black marble slabs to Anne Dame Buckworth Herne, d.1806 with details of her four children. The tower was hit by a bomb in 1940, and collapsed on the nave and north aisle. Drawings of church by Wm Cole C18, and one dated 1939 show the embattled parapets and former tower with embattled parapets and apparently C15. Pevsner. Buildings of England, p406 R.C.H.M. Report incomplete 1949

Listing NGR: TL4324739980

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 406

National Grid Reference: TL 43247 39980

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309193 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 06:45:50.

End of official listing