This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST HELEN

List entry Number: 1309238

Location

CHURCH OF ST HELEN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Little Eversden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 52178

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3753 LITTLE EVERSDEN CHURCH LANE

13/126 22.11.67 Church of St Helen II*

Parish church. C14 except for West tower and North porch which are c.1400 or early C15. Restored 1891-92. Fieldstone, clunch rubble, and dressings of limestone and clunch. Slate roofs. PLan of West tower, nave, chancel and North porch. West tower of three stage with main cornice. Three-stage diagonal buttressing. West window, restored of three cinquefoil lights. Loop window to each side of second stage. Bell-stage with two centred arches and vertical tracery to a two-light opening. The gable of the earlier nave roof is visible in the east wall. Nave. Two C14 windows, restored, in South wall and South doorway, now blocked. Chancel: Rendered walls. East window of three trefoil lights in two centred arch. The windows in the South wall are restored. North porch, c.1400, timber framed incorporating some modern framed incorporating some timber, on rebuilt base of fieldstone. Slate roof. Two bays. Two centered outer arch. Open sided with foiled heads to seven lights. Crown post roof with four way upward and downward bracing to short hollow moulded crown post. The collar purlin is also moulded and there are braces to the collars. Inner archway of clunch. Two centred arch with keeled roll moulding and label. Interior: C17 roof of Queen strut construction. Three bays. The wall posts have carved pendants, Rood loft stair opening on north side of chancel arch. The choir stalls are reset from the chapel of Queens College, Cambridge and are by Bodley.

R.C.H.M.: West Cambs. Mon. (1) Pevsner: Buildings of England p.428

Listing NGR: TL3748853288

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 428
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

National Grid Reference: TL 37488 53288

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309238 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 02:26:34.

End of official listing