Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1309259

Date first listed: 04-Oct-1960



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE LESS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309259 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 15:26:04.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Huish

National Grid Reference: SS5337211087


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


HUISH HUISH SS 51 SW 4/120 Church of St James the Less 4.10.60 GV II* Parish church. Late C15 or early C16 tower, the rest rebuilt in 1873 by G. E. Street. Coursed stone rubble walls. Gable-ended slate roof. Stone chimney to vestry. Plan: nave, chancel, south aisle and porch, west tower and vestry on north side of chancel. Apart from the late C15 or early C16 tower the church was entirely rebuilt in 1873 mainly in the early Decorated style. Exterior: 3-stage castellated west tower with obelisk finials. Round-headed granite west doorway with roll and hollow moulding and arched hoodmould. C20 rebuilt 3- light Perpendicular style west window. 2-light segmental arched belfry openings. Slit openings for stair on north side. North side of nave has 3 2-light and one single light plate tracery type windows. At east end is lean-to vestry with arched doorway. Large 5-light east window of Decorated Style and similar small 2-light one on south side of chancel. The south aisle has a 3-light early Decorated style window to either side of the porch and a trefoiled light towards the east end. Single storey gabled south porch with 2 centred moulded arched doorway and diagonal buttress either side. Interior: south doorway has pointed arch with nookshafts. The internal walls are lined with fine sandstone ashlar. The 3-bay arcade is of similar stone with 4- centred arches and piers with moulded capitals. Wide similar chancel arch and pointed sandstone tower arch. Chancel has sedilia and piscina in south wall. Arch in north wall to vestry. Arch-braced collar beam roof to nave with cusping to arches and angels corbels to principal rafters. Boarded roof to chancel and plain wagon roof to aisle. Octagonal front of Caen stone with very fine fleuron carving to panels and stem consisting of clustered shafts, alternate ones of marble. The pulpit is of similar stone, 3 sided with tracery carved panels. On the west wall of the nave is an oval slate wall memorial to Jane Wollacombe who died in 1777. To the other side of the tower arch are 2 more wall memorials - one slate with nowy head dated 1668 the other marble and oval to William Spurway Gent who died 1715. Source: Pevsner: Buildings of North Devon

Listing NGR: SS5337211087


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 90909

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Devon North, (1952)

End of official listing