PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1309328

Date first listed: 22-Nov-1967

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309328 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 23:20:45.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Little Abington

National Grid Reference: TL 52950 49197

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 5249 LITTLE ABINGTON CHURCH LANE (South Side)

9/31 Parish Church of 22.11.67 St Mary the Virgin

II*

Parish Church. C11 nave and base of tower, chancel early C13 and north chapel later C13, west tower rebuilt early C14, south porch c.1500. Restoration 1885 at expense of vicar A.H.D. Hutton, and architect J.P. St Aubyn employing Mr Rickett, stone mason. Walls of flint rubble with clunch and limestone dressings, C19 red plain tiled roof with patterned ridge tiles. South elevation: Tower of two stages with west angle buttresses of three stages up to belfry height; embattled parapet. Restored two-light belfry window and lancet-light below. Nave with plain gable parapet and limestone quoins on shallow stepped plinth. South doorway C11 with plain circular head and square jambs, chamfered imposts (similar to blocked north door with carved ornament cut back to surface of outer wall). South porch rebuilt C19 retaining original roof with carved braces and embattled and moulded cornice. Early C14 window to left hand of two trefoiled-ogee-lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred arch. Window to right hand of three cinquefoil-lights with cusped spandrels and square head and label. Chancel with parapet gable and cross finial without buttresses, priest's doorway C13 with stop-chamfered jambs and two-centred head with label, restored. Window to left hand late C14 with two ogee-cinquefoil-lights and transome rebuilt originally for shutters, window to right hand also late C14 of two wide cinquefoil-lights in a square head. Interior: Chancel arch, two-centred with responds and moulded capitals and bases standing on original C11 nave wall, squint in north most corner with wrought semi circular head, piscina with two two-centred arches enriched with dogtooth ornament with central octagonal shaft with moulded cap and base. Screen, early C16 with four-centred head to opening with four narrow bays on either side of panels with ogee-cinque-foiled heads with cusped spandrels. Nave with C13 two-centred arch of two chamfered orders to chapel now used as organ chamber and vestry, the west wall has a two bay wall arcade with two-centred arches and mask stops. Tower arch two-centred of three continuous chamfered orders. Roofs partly restored; chancel roof three bays, and nave roof four bays, one of collar rafter type with side purlins and braced principal rafters, the original principal timbers are moulded. Font. C13 square bowl with stop-chamfered central pier and small octagonal shafts with moulded caps and bases. South door of nave C14 or C15, feathered boards with round head and planted moulding. Restored C15 pews. C17 communion table. Coffin recess in south wall of tower; two pieces of C13 coffin lid in south porch. Monuments: In chancel, white marble tablet to Rev Andrew Penn and others 1800; tablet with gadrooned cornice supporting obelisks and central shield in strapwork with caryatids and verse to Oliver Dalton, 1618; white marble tablet to John Chester Penn 1823 and others; white marble tablet to Thomas Fassett 1820; floor slab in white stone to Sarah Bridge Barlow and her husband, 1815 and 1828; in the north chapel in a vault beneath the remains of Dorothy wife of Thomas Fasset 1797. Glass in chancel 'Adoration of Magi', 1901 by Kempe.

V.C.H., Vol. VI, p17 R.C.H.M. Report 1951 Pevsner. Buildings of England, p427 Palmer, W.M. Notes on Essex MS 1775 left with W M Cole of N door.

Listing NGR: TL5295049197

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 52012

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970)
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1978), 17
Other
Reports on Buildings in the Parishes of Babraham Great Abington Hildersham Linton Little Abington and Pampisford Cambridgeshire, (1951)

End of official listing