Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309370.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2021 at 01:24:08.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Torridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SS 56799 10315


DOWLAND DOWLAND SS 51 SE 5/104 Church of St Peter 4.10.60 GV I

Parish church. Some Norman fabric with C15 and early C16 additions, partially restored in 1876. Rubble walls, rendered to south side of nave and east end. Gable-ended slate roof. Plan: nave, chancel, north aisle, south porch and west tower. The fabric of the nave is probably Norman judging from the south doorway, the tower was added in the C15 and the north aisle in the early C16, the date of the south porch is uncertain and it may have been restored. Exterior: 3 stage crenellated west tower with crocketted pinnacles and 2-light granite belfry openings. Slits for stairs on north side. 4-centred granite west doorway with roll and hollow moulding and arched hoodmould. 3-light Perpendicular or granite west window which has had one mullion renewed. The west end of the aisle has a circa C16 late 2-light stone mullion window. On its north wall the aisle has 2 early C16 3-light segmental headed granite mullion windows with hoodmoulds and there is a similar window at its east end. The east window is 3-light Early English style, probably a restoration. C20 priest's doorway to south side of chancel. On south side of nave is C14 style partly restored window with a traceried square head. Plain gabled south porch with round-headed doorway. Interior is most remarkable for its oak 3-bay arcade of which only one other exists in Devon (Nymet Rowland). It has partly restored 4-centred chamfered arches and Persner A-type piers although that at the west end is circular and of stone. There is no chancel arch and the tower arch is plain and pointed. C16 carved bench ends survive fairly complete to the nave and aisle, except at the rear, their designs include the motifs of the Stafford and Kellaway families. The old wagon roofs with moulded ribs and carved bosses have been partly restored. The chancel roof is plastered. Very small roughly octagonal late medieval font on C20 base. C19 or early C20 pulpit. Various slate memorials survive, mainly from the 1st half of the C17 to members of the Stafford family. The porch has an arch-braced roof which may be early. Narrow roundheaded Norman south doorway which has been plastered. The internal walls are plastered. Source: Beatrix Cresswell: Churches in the Deanery of Tarrington; White's Directory 1878.

Listing NGR: SS5680510310


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Cresswell, B F, Notes on Devon Churches in the Deanery of Torrington, (1925)
'Whites Directory' in Whites Directory, (1878)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/13016/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Dukes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].