MANOR FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1309385

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Nov-1985

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE, 4 AND 6, MILL WAY

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR FARMHOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309385 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 12:39:12.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR FARMHOUSE, 4 AND 6, MILL WAY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Grantchester

National Grid Reference: TL4330755414

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

14/120 GRANCHESTER

MILL WAY (West Side) Nos 4 and 6 (formerly listed as Manor Farmhouse)

The address shall be amended to read MILL WAY (West Side)

Nos 4 and 6 (Manor Farmhouse)

------------------------------------

GRANTCHESTER MILL WAY TL 4355 (West Side) 14/120 Nos. 4 and 6 (Formerly 31. 8.62 listed as Manor Farmhouse)

II*

Manor house. c.1452 with additions and alterations of C17 and later. Timber-framed, rendered and alterations and additions of red brick, painted. Tiled roofs with internal and side stacks. C15 house of single north-south range of four bays, possibly with one adjoining wing at the south east and another at the north east. In C17 additions were made to east side, which is also the principal elevation. Two storeys and cellars. The C15 east facade is now obscured by C17 additions. That at the centre is red brick and tiled and has end stack with offsets and three diagonally set shafts, repaired. The main entry is at the side of this stack and has been inserted in C19 in part of the wall. This addition is of one room deep. Adjoning on the right is a further C17 brick addition. Fenestration is all C19 or C211 but there are square headed drip moulds of C17 to openings, now blocked or altered. The crosswing at the south east is timber-framed, tiled. C15 in origin altered in C17 and C19. Two storeys. Principal range of C15 manor house is at the rear. Three C19 windows at first floor and two at ground floor. One French window is on the site of the cross-passage entry, now a kitchen. The opposing doorway in east wall is now internal. At the north end of the house there are C19 brick service additions. Interior: Although the structure is substantially intact, very little of the framing is visible. Most of the details are of c.1840. The C15 house had a two-bay open-hall with side stack of clunch, now internal. There was a gallery (referred to by Cole) at the south end above the cross-passage and the solar was at the north end. The hall was floored in C17. Some framing is visible in the screens partition wall and in the plate, with its hollow moulding, at first floor The house has always been cellared. The joists in the cellar are original. The clunch base of the original side stack is arched over the C15 sewer. A later brick lined drain leads off the cellar. The site is moated. The manor was acquired by Kings College Cambridge from Executors of Henry Somer, former Chancellor of the Exchequer, in 1452 as a home farm and has remained College property. J Saltmarsh: A College Home Farm in C15, Economic History III, 11 (February 1936), 155-72) R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon.(2) Pevsner: Buildings of England, p393

Listing NGR: TL4330755414

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 51737

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 393
'Economic History' in Economic History, , Vol. 3, (1936), 155-72
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

End of official listing