CAXTON MANOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1309423

Date first listed: 31-Aug-1962

Statutory Address: CAXTON MANOR HOUSE, 53, ERMINE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CAXTON MANOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309423 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 21:03:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CAXTON MANOR HOUSE, 53, ERMINE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)

Parish: Caxton

National Grid Reference: TL 30360 58316

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3058-3158 CAXTON ERMINE STREET (West Side)

12/76 No. 53 (Caxton 31. 8.62 Manor House)

GV II*

Manor house, at one time The George Coaching Inn. Late C16, refronted in early C18 with C19 and C20 alterations. Red brick, steeply pitched slate and plain tile roofs. Two storeys with attics and cellars. Main range to street with two rear turrets possibly for staircases and closets, arid central carriageway. Rear wing at obtuse angle to south, partly demolished, and rebuilt with C20 single storey range. Symmetrical facade to main range of seven 'bays' with three central 'bays' slightly recessed. Entrance in original carriageway with floor raised, approached by stone steps with C20 door and sidelights and fanlight in elliptical brick arch with stone keyblock and imposts. Six ground floor early C18 twelve-paned hung sash windows (with the exception of one to south replacing C19 doorway), and seven first floor C19 hung sash windows in cambered brick arches. Four hipped dormer windows with iron casements. Plain parapet with stone copings interrupted by brick clock turret dated '1887 VR', with wooden bell canopy, pyramidal roof and weathervane. Two ridge stacks and end stack to right hand. A number of sealed late C16 chamfered-mullioned brick windows in side and rear elevations, some with original plaster rendering, and later window insertions. One very fine twelve-light mullioned window above carriageway in rear elevation. C20 entrance to rear of carriageway with panelled oak doors and multi-light Tudor windows designed by Major J Gedge. Interior: Chamfered ceiling beams and two large inglenook hearths to south room and kitchen. Two cellars flanking cartway each with arched recesses and entrances from rear turrets, moulded cross-beams in cellar to north. C19 staircases in both rear turrets; C18 and C19 partitions and doorcases. The manor house faces the original market site; the rear wing is built beside a boundary that followed the ancient strips of the open fields.

R.C.H.M. West Cambs., p37, mon.8 Pevsner. Buildings of England, p315 V.C.H., Vol. V, pp26, 27, 32. Brown J, Caxton Now and Then 1984

Listing NGR: TL3036058316

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 51104

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brown, J, Caxton Now and Then, (1984)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 315
Salzman, L F, The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1973), 26 27 32
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

End of official listing