CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1309436
Date first listed:
31-Aug-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309436 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 07:56:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY AND ST ANDREW, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cambridgeshire
District:
South Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Grantchester
National Grid Reference:
TL 43366 55464

Details

TL 4355 GRANTCHESTER HIGH STREET (North West Side)

14/109 Church of St Mary and St 31.8.62 Andrew

GV II*

Parish Church. Part of north wall of nave is C12 and some C12 fragments are to be found reset in south wall of south aisle, added in 1876-7. Mid C14 chancel, and late C14 or early C15 west tower. Clunch rubblestone, fieldstone, rendered, with dressed clunch ashlar to the chancel. Limestone dressings. Tiled roofs. Plan of west tower, nave, south aisle and chancel. West tower. Embattled parapet of three stages with splayed plinth and contemporary three-stage angle buttressing. Restored west window of three cinquefoil lights above west doorway, now glazed. Two-centred arch in square head with shields of See of Ely and Bishop John Fordham in the spandrels. The bell-stage has two cinquefoil openings in four centred arch, to each wall. Nave much restored 1876-7, except for north wall which.-has C12 work with C15 fenestration. The south aisle incorporates C12 fragments. Mid C14 chancel has restored Decorated tracery to three windows in north and south walls and to the East window. The. two-stage buttresses are original, but the upper wall of the east gable end is probably rebuilt. In the north wall of the nave there is a blocked opening, C14-C15, probably to a chapel, now demolished. North porch is C16. Brick nogging between timber-frame to gable. Wall material now rendered. Hollow moulded, four-centred outer arch in square head with moulded tie above. Original double door, battened, the vertical planks with cover strips. Interior: south arcade is C19 restoration. The chancel is particularly fine with moulded sill carried round below the windows and above the mid C14 piscina with nodding ogee arch. Similar nodding ogees to the rear arches of the windows, which also have engaged nook shafts to the jambs. The roofs are C19. Font: C13. Tapering limestone bowl on a modern base. Gallery: c.1840 in Gothic idiom on arcade of seven bays. Wall tomb in north wall of chancel. C14 moulded ogee arch. R.C.H.M. West Cambs., mon.(1) Plates 4.10,69,71,81 Pevsner: Buildings of England, p393

Listing NGR: TL4336655464

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
51726
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 393
Other
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire West, (1968)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01189/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Jenkins. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].