CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1309482
Date first listed:
16-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHADWICK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309482.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 09:42:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHADWICK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Salford (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 77400 98764

Details

ECCLES

1481/4/1 CHADWICK ROAD 16-JUL-1987 (North side) CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

II* Church. 1877-9, interior completed 1883. By Herbert Edward Tijou, tower completed to a modified design 1889 by JS Crowther after Tijou's death. Rock-faced stone with slate roof. Nave and apse under continuous roof, aisles, south porch and south-east tower. Gothic Revival. 7-bay nave and aisles with weathered plinth and weathered buttresses. 2-light aisle and clerestory windows with Geometrical tracery and hoodmoulds. Gabled porch in bay 2. Two 2-light west windows and a small rose window. Polygonal apse with 2-light windows in each face. Imposing 4-stage tower with set-back buttresses which are weathered and gableted and turn into octagonal piers which rise as crocketed pinnacles above the pierced castellated parapet. It also has a 4-light window, a lancet in the second stage, a rose window in the third, and trefoil friezes above and below the 2-light belfry openings. INTERIOR: 7-bay nave arcade with moulded arches on circular stone columns with well carved foliated capitals. Arch-braced roof trusses to the lofty nave. In the chancel are richly carved and elaborate reredos, oak panelling, communion rail, choir stalls and organ loft of 1898-1902. Organ of 1883 rebuilt and enlarged mid C20. Low chancel wall with attached pulpit 1879. Pews in aisles from Manchester Cathedral and installed 1893, pews in centre of nave 1918. Font of 1879, moved 1995. Minton floor tiles. Stained glass includes east windows of 1886 by Kempe, west window of 1916 and probably 4 other windows by Shrigley and Hunt of Preston. 4 other windows signed by Alfred O. Hemming. A north aisle window both depicts and commemorates AH Clayton who died at Loos in 1915. An imposing building both inside and out with majestic tower. Tijou was also responsible 1874-6 for the chapel at Loreto College, Manchester (qv). Matthew Hyde, pers.comm. Jane Lowe, Church History and Guide and pers.comm.



Listing NGR: SJ7740098764

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
211934
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/02200/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr F. Bryan Basketter. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].