CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1309498

Date first listed: 28-Jan-1958

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, SCHOOL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309498 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2018 at 16:49:29.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, SCHOOL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: Huntingdonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Kings Ripton

National Grid Reference: TL 26117 76582

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 2676 KINGS RIPTON SCHOOL LANE (North Side)

19/47 Church of St Peter 28.1.58 GV II*

Parish church. C13 nave, chancel, C14 north aisle and C15 west tower. Restored in 1851. Fieldstone, limestone rubble, coursed limestone and limestone dressings. Parapetted roofs, plain tiled and slate. Plan of west tower, nave and north aisle, south porch and chancel. West tower of coursed limestone, with limestone dressings. Embattled with main cornice having a central beast gargoyle. Four stages with splayed plinth continued round contemporary three stage diagonal buttressing. West doorway has continuous hollow and ogee moulding to four centred arch. West window of three cinquefoil lights in similar arch. Bell stage has, in each side, two trefoil openings divided by mullion and transome in two centred arches. Put-log holes are now filled with old brick. Nave, C13, of fieldstone and limestone dressings. Clerestory on north side, C14, of three quatrefoil openings in square surrounds with chamfered edges. South wall has two large C15 windows restored of three cinquefoil lights each in four centred arches. South porch. Medieval, restored. Limestone with plain tiled gabled roof and moulded eaves cornice continued round gable end. Restored segmental outer arch of two chamfered orders, the inner carried on corbels. Each side wall has openings of two trefoil lights in unmoulded square head. Chancel, C13, restored C15. Red brick south wall has reset south doorway C14 of continuous ogee moulding in two centred arch with moulded ogee label with mask stops and finial. One restored window of three cinquefoil lights in depressed arch with label and return stops. The east wall has a window of three lights with modern intersecting tracery in two centred arch. The window in the north wall is of two cinquefoil lights in four centred arch with transome and mullion. Interior: Two centred tower arch of three chamfered orders. North arcade, C14, of three bays. Two centred arches of two chamfered orders on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and bases. Arch braced tie beams of roof carried on jackposts on carved stone corbels linked by a moulded string below the clerestory. The north aisle, although medieval in origin, is now almost entirely C19. Chancel arch, C13, two centred and of two chamfered orders on half octagonal columns to the responds. Piscina in south wall of chancel. Trefoil head with two centred label and two drains. Font, C12-C13. Round basin in tapering square bowl. The sides are carved with foliate and star ornament with engaged Doric corner columns. On central octagonal column with four subsidiary shafts with cushion capitals. Raised on later base. Altar: Late medieval, limestone with cyma moulding and roll moulding to lower edge. On C19 wood base.

Source: R.C.H.M. (Hunts), mon. (1) V.C.H. Hunts. Vol. III Pevsner: Buildings of England, p281

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 54679

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Huntingdonshire, (1926)
Page, W, Proby, G , The Victoria History of the County of Huntingdon, (1936)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 281

End of official listing