Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309612.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Dec-2020 at 19:55:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 56504 66274


In the entry for: REACH THE HYTHE (south-west side) White Roses

The item shall be amended to read: THE HYTHE (south-west side)

1.12.51 White Roses (formerly listed as Old Vicarage)


TL 5666 REACH THE HYTHE (south-west side)

13/154 White Roses


House, formerly the vicarage. Early C16 with alterations in c.1700 and C19. Original building timber-framed, jettied with three unit plan and two storey gabled porch to south-east elevation. Service end to south-west partly cased in local red brick c.1700 with side stack to south-east and plain tile roof rebuilt as hip. Parlour wing replaced in late C19 by red brick and tile wing after a fire. C19 brick and plain tile lean-to to left hand of porch; to right hand, C19 gabled porch re-using medieval clunch with four-centred arch. Rear wing C18 with date stone 1516 reset. Two storeys. Timber-frame partly exposed with brick nogging and plastered and boxed. Moulded eaves cornice. C18 entrance with six-panelled door. Windows include two horizontal sliding sash windows with eight panes, one C18 twelve-paned hung sash window to right hand of door and one small casement window. Interior, very fine folded ribbon decoration to roll moulded cross beams and joists with roll and cyma moulding and leaf stops to hall and original porch. Jamb for cross passage door survives. Inglenook hearth with C18 over mantel; bolection moulded chimney piece to first floor room. Staircase early C18 in original position with pierced flat balusters. Side purlin roof, but with earlier associations with the river trade lying south of a dock with access to The Hythe (C Taylor, Cambs. Landscape, pp.236-8).

RCHM, North-East Cambridgeshire, p.88, mon.18 Pevsner. Buildings of England, p.452 Taylor C. Cambridgeshire Landscape, p.236-8, 1973

Listing NGR: TL5650466274


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1970), 452
Taylor, C , Cambridgeshire Landscape, (1973), 236-238
An Inventory of the Historical Monuments in Cambridgeshire North East, (1972)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01347/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bruce Knight. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].