CLEGG HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1309615
Date first listed:
10-Aug-1951
Statutory Address:
CLEGG HALL, CLEGG HALL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CLEGG HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1309615 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 01:26:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CLEGG HALL, CLEGG HALL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Rochdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 92242 14490

Details

SD 91 SW MILNROW CLEGG HALL ROAD (south side) 3/85 Clegg Hall 10/8/51 G.V. II*

House. c.1610. For Theophilus Ashton. Dressed stone, hammer- dressed stone and graduated stone slate roof. 5 x 3 bays with 2 storeys (plus attic level) all raised above a full basement. Near-symmetrical elevation with projecting plinth. Imposing central 2-storey porch approached by flight of steps has a segmental-headed door opening with moulded surround and capitals and is flanked by paired columns with cushion capitals. The upper floor rises above an entablature, the 5-light mullion and transom window being flanked by single columns on pedestals with enriched capitals and a frieze all of which have fanciful details in a debased classical manner. 2 and 3-light mullioned basement windows and four 4-light mullion and transom windows to the upper floors (except for the principal room which has 5 lights and one to the right which is partially blocked). All windows are double-chamfered and have hoodmoulds, that to the first floor being continuous. Series of 3 coped gables with 2 and 3-light windows, finials and rainwater spouts. The sides and rear are also characterised by 3 similar gables. Windows are generally 3, 4 or 5-light mullion and transomed or 1, 2 or 3-light mullioned in the case of the basement or attic. The rear has a central door with 4- centred arch lintel and a porch which is gabled and has spiral carving to the kneelers. The left (of rear) appears to have been altered at some stage and a door was inserted to right probably in C19. Groups of diagonally set chimney stacks rise from an axial spine wall. Interior: all 2 rooms deep, the porch leading directly into the principal room which has a fireplace under a large chamfered segmental arch. The beams are heavily moulded with multiple rolls. The staircase (centre rear) is framed in timber and winds round an octagonal newel post. The doors generally have 4-centred arch lintels. What little remains of the roof structure employs tie-beam trusses and wind bracing. Generally a powerful building which apart from the effects of deep-set decay has remained virtually unaltered. Victoria County History, Vol. 5, 1911. H. Fishwick, History of Rochdale, 1889.

Listing NGR: SD9224214490

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
213423
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1911)
Fishwick, H, History of Rochdale, (1889)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2000
Reference: IOE01/02776/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Pamela Jackson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].