CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310011.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:39:36.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- North East Lincolnshire (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TA 17520 15081
TA 11 NE
IMMINGHAM, CHURCH LANE (north side),
Church of St Andrew
Parish church. C11 - C12 nave and responds to north arcade; late C12 - early C13 south arcade, south aisle, lower section of tower arch, chancel arch and west section of chancel; later C13 north arcade; C14 north door, east and west windows to aisles; C15 - C16 north aisle windows, C16-C17 tower, clerestory and chancel east window. Roof replaced in C17. Restorations of late 1880s. Restoration of north aisle in 1921 by W Bond of Grantham, of nave in 1923, of tower in 1924; nave and tower roofs renewed in 1957. Re-floored in 1969. Limestone ashlar to tower and nave clerestory; mixed limestone and ironstone rubble and squared masonry to aisles and east end of nave; similar materials to chancel with some chalk and flint rubble. Slate roofs.
West tower with 4-bay aisled nave and 2-bay chancel. 3-stage tower: moulded plinth, angle buttresses with offsets, stair lighting slits to south west, stepped-in stages with weathered string courses between. First stage has pointed 3-light west window with partly-restored Perpendicular tracery in hollow-chamfered reveal with hoodmould. Second stage has square openings with pierced quatrefoils in roundels with incised spandrels in plain chamfered reveals. Pointed 2-light traceried belfry openings in hollow-chamfered reveals kith hoodmoulds. Moulded string course, gargoyles at angles and centre of each side, coped embattled parapet with 8 crocketed pinnacles, the pinnacle buttresses with blind-traceried panels and the merlons with quatrefoil panels bearing shields. Quoins to aisles and chancel. South aisle: early C13 round-headed chamfered door with chamfered imposts and hoodmould with nailhead ornament; twin lancets to south side, that to east of C13 with ashlar tablet between arches bearing cross in relief, that to west incorporating reused C13 incised grave slab, and that to centre restored in C19; pointed 2-light traceried west window with restored mullion, original hoodmould and good headstops; similar east window with restored mullion, original hoodmould and worn headstops. North aisle: chamfered plinth; pointed wave-moulded door with hoodmould and worn headstop, sill string course, partly-restored square-headed 3-light windows with original Perpendicular tracery, hoodmoulds and worn headstops; partly- restored 2-light traceried west window with hoodmould and restored headstops; pointed 3-light traceried east window with hoodmould and good headstop. Clerestory has 4-centred-arch traceried 3-light windows in plain chamfered reveals, restored coped parapet. Line of earlier nave gable visible in east wall of nave. Chancel: chamfered plinth to south and east sides, single C19-C20 mid buttresses to north and south sides; south side has pointed hollow-chamfered door with hoodmould and headstops, sill string course and partly-restored pointed 2-light traceried window with hoodmould and headstops to western section; partly-restored triple lancet to eastern section; single lancet to north side; small 3-light east window with 4-centred-arch lights and restored mullions.
INTERIOR. South arcade of round arches with inner chamfered and plain outer orders, on cylindrical piers and responds with plain moulded capitals, octagonal abaci, and plain moulded bases on square pedestals. North arcade of pointed double-chamfered arches on plain chamfered responds and octagonal piers with plain moulded capitals and bases. Tall pointed double-chamfered tower arch, raised in C16-C17, on shafted responds with plain moulded capitals and bases; inscription on north jamb records restorations of 1920s,tablet on south jamb records restoration of 1957. Arcade piers and jambs of tower arch bear traces of red and black paint. Pointed chamfered door to tower spiral staircase with notched newel. Pointed double-chamfered chancel arch on keeled responds with plain moulded capitals and bases. Small square aumbry to chancel with stone shelf above. Small corbel to east end of south aisle with paterae in relief. Ashlar wall tablet at west end of nave to John Teale of 1809 with oval medallion and rosettes in relief. 8 alabaster wall tablets in south aisle to naval casualties of 1914-1918 War. Good C15 octagonal font with bowl bearing foiled panels and shields with paterae, fleur-de-lys and crosses in relief, series of paterae on underside, moulded base and octagonal shaft. Stained glass east window, carved oak reredos and traceried Gothic Revival chancel screen of 1909. Oak lectern from early C20 Immingham Dock Naval Church. Large painted Royal Arms of 1688. The tower is similar to those at Aylesby and Healing (qv), the notched newel of the staircase and "Mixed Gothic" belfry tracery suggesting a date between 1550-1650.
Drawing by C Nattes of 1796, Banks Collection, Lincoln City Library; Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, vol. 29, pt 1, 1907, pp. 74-75; N Pevsner and J Harris, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, 1978, pp. 280-1. A Tailby, Immingham: The Story of a Village, 1970, pp. 17-18.
Listing NGR: TA1752015082
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Harris, J, The Buildings of England: Lincolnshire, (1978), 280-1
Tailby, A, Immingham The Story of a Village, (1970), 17-18
'Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers' in Associated Architectural Societies Reports and Papers, , Vol. 29, (1907), 74-75
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing