PARR HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1310063
Date first listed:
04-Apr-1975
Statutory Address:
PARR HALL, PALMYRA SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARR HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310063 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 09:02:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARR HALL, PALMYRA SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Warrington (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 60364 87992

Details

SJ 6087 PALMYRA SQUARE (South side) 704/2/105 Parr Hall 04.04.1975

GV II

Public hall. 1895, by William Owen, for J Charlton Parr, who provided the building and the site. Later C20 alterations. Brown brick with red brick with terra cotta and ashlar dressings and slate roofs. 2 storeys, !:5:1 bays. Windows are mainly original glazing bar sashes. Single-storey lean-to entrance with 3 pairs of double doors under a canopy on scroll brackets, flanked by 2-light windows. All these openings have 3-light stone-mullioned overlights. 2-storeyed end pavilions with hipped roofs. 2-storeyed centre block has windows divided by pilasters, and square-domed belvedere enclosed by a balustrade. INTERIOR:Main hall has curving balcony on 3 sides, cantilevered from outer walls, with coved ceiling underneath, and Grecian decoration. Windows, now blocked, have eared architraves. Coved ceiling with plain panels. Stage flanked by panelled wooden staircase enclosures, approached from the stage by curved staircases with turned balustrades. At the rear of the stage, an elaborate Decorated Gothic style two-tower organ case, with fielded and quatrefoil panelling and crocketed pinnacles. This contains the organ, by the notable French organ-builder Aristide Cavaille-Coll. The organ was built in 1870 at Bracewell Hall, Yorks., for the music publisher TJ Hopwood. It was enlarged in 1875, and resited in 1883 to Ketton Hall, Rutland. The organ was bought by Warrington Corporation and installed in Parr Hall in 1923-26. This is the only example in England of an instrument by Cavaille-Coll which retains its original specification, and is regarded as a significant work by a major French builder. Ground floor corridors around the hall give access to staircases, exits and meeting rooms, all largely refitted late C20. All the listed buildings in Palmyra Square form a group with Nos 9 to 2l odd, the Museum and Art Gallery Bold Street No l0 Egypt Street + Nos 5 to 13 odd Springfield Street and Nos l and 15 Suez Street].









Listing NGR: SJ6036487992

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
58831
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01680/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Marcus Osborne. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].