WALLED GARDEN (INCLUDING SUNDIAL) APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF TEHIDY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1310213
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
WALLED GARDEN (INCLUDING SUNDIAL) APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF TEHIDY HOUSE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310213.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 03-Mar-2021 at 15:05:09.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALLED GARDEN (INCLUDING SUNDIAL) APPROXIMATELY 100 METRES SOUTH-EAST OF TEHIDY HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Illogan
National Grid Reference:
SW6480143366

Details

ILLOGAN TEHIDY PARK SW 64 SW 4/205 Walled garden (including sundial) approx. 100 metres south-east 26.1.86 of Tehidy House GV II Walled kitchen garden to Tehidy House. Built by Francis Basset Lord de Dunstanville about 1777-82. Handmade brick. Very large double rectangular enclosure surrounded by walls approx. 4 metres high, those of the west garden with pilasters at regular intervals; segmental-headed doorways, some blocked; in the centre of the north side of the east garden are the foundations and plastered rear wall of hothouses (probably those built in 1780), and attached to the north wall of the west garden is a long but shallow greenhouse with steeply-pitched roof and a door at the east end. At the centre of the east garden is a sundial of white stone (probably Portland stone), with square base and vase pedestal, but now lacking the plate and gnomon. At the south-east corner of the east garden is the rear wall of White Cottage (q.v.). Reference: Michael Tangye Tehidy and the Bassets (1984) pp 32-35.

Listing NGR: SW6480143366

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
66761
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Tangye, M, Tehidy and the Bassets, (1984), 32-35

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/13834/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ray Symons. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].