CHURCH OF ST ILLOGAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1310340
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ILLOGAN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ILLOGAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310340.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 22:00:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ILLOGAN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Illogan
National Grid Reference:
SW 67127 43984

Details

ILLOGAN CHURCH ROAD SW 64 SE (west side) 10/181 Churchtown Church of St Illogan GV II Church. 1846, by J.P.St Aubyn, replacing former Church of St Illogan (of which only the tower remains, q.v.); altered. Killas rubble brought to courses, with granite dressings, slate roof. Gothic style. Nave with north and south aisles of equal height, short chancel. The 6-bay aisles have buttresses and angle buttresses with 2 offsets, gabled porches to the 2nd bay with moulded 2-centred arched doorways and coped gables, and the south porch has a sundial over the doorway; the other bays have 2-centred arched 3-light windows with cusped lights and Perpendicular tracery in the heads, and the ends have similar windows with hoodmoulds. The west end of the nave has an added west window, projecting slightly, with 5 cinquefoil lights, and lettering on the sill commemorating Gustavus Lambart Basset of Tehidy (d.1889). The chancel has diagonal buttresses and a traceried 4-light east window with a hoodmould. All the gables have raised coping with apex crosses. Interior: 5-bay aisle arcades of double-chamfered 2- centred arches on octagonal piers with moulded caps (west end now partitioned by glazed screen wall in 2nd bay to make 2-storey meeting room); nave has arch-braced collar truss roof, aisles have arch-braced crown post roofs; chancel has 4-centred arch to organ chamber on south side; attached to south aisle wall (and now within upper meeting room), a painted copy of the letter of Charles I to the County of Cornwall. Numerous wall monuments removed from former church, including, in the north aisle: a set of small brasses to James Basset and his wife (1603); a white marble sarcophagus with medallion portrait, Francis Basset (d.1769); a bust in a medallion, by Richard Westmacott, commemorating Francis Lord de Dunstanville (d.1835); a marble relief depicting the weeping wife and children of John Basset (d.1843); a young woman feeding the poor, Frances Baroness Basset (d.1855); a standing angel reading, John Francis Basset (d.1869); and in the chancel: an oval tablet with Latin inscription, John Basset Collins; and a very elaborate cartouche with open pediment and putti, Mary, wife of John Collins and daughter of Francis Basset of Tehidy (d.1743)

Listing NGR: SW6712743984

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
66737
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01486/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Jenny Leathes. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].