CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1310465
Date first listed:
07-Feb-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310465.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 18:51:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
East Riding of Yorkshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lockington
National Grid Reference:
SE 99718 46855

Details

LOCKINGTON CHURCH LANE SE 94 NE (east side) 2/41 16/44

Church of Saint Mary

7.2.68

I

Church. C12 nave, early C13 west tower (embraced) rebuilt in C17, early C14 chancel, C14 south nave chapel (recast in 1635). Ashlar, with brick to upper part of west tower, lead and tiled roofs. 3-stage west tower, 4-bay nave with 2-bay south chapel, 3-bay chancel. West tower: lancets to belfry openings under crenellated parapet, all in brick. West elevation has blocked west door with pointed head and continuous chamfer flanked at about first floor height by lancets which light the now apparently inaccessible chambers to north and south of the tower. Second-floor moulded string, small lancet above. Nave: chamfered string. Mid C12 south door of 3 orders with nook-shafts. The 2 inner and middle orders have zigzag, the outer is roll moulded. The west side of the door-head is interrupted by a late medieval ogee-headed niche under a gablet. Over the door is a 3-light square-headed mullioned window. South chapel: moulded plinth, buttresses with offsets. Two 3-light mullioned windows. Crenellated parapet incorporating the coat of arms of the Estoft family flanked by herms. Chancel: high chamfered plinth, buttresses with offset. Three 2-light pointed windows with ogee tracery under hoodmoulds with face stops. 5-light pointed east window with reticulated tracery (above a dwarf buttress) with hoodmould with face stops.

INTERIOR: screen to west end c1893 by Temple Moore incorporating much earlier C17 and C18 panelling and woodwork. Painted brocade pattern above. 2-bay arcade to south chapel of pointed double-chamfered arches on an octagonal pier. Remains of a C12 chancel arch of 3 orders now rebuilt so that the zigzag runs up on the lines of the responds to form a rectangular opening into the chancel. 3 scallop capitals to nook-shafts beneath. C18 pulpit, with readers desk and sounding board, all in raised and fielded panelling, reached by a short closed-string stair with turned vase balusters-and heavy moulded handrail. Chancel: small trefoil-headed piscina to south wall, squint to south chapel. The west windows to north and south walls have been extended downwards to form low- side windows. Nave roof: low-pitch on slightly cambered tie-beams with central floral bosses; chancel roof has a pointed, panelled and bossed timber vault. South chapel: this was remodelled in 1634/5 as the Estoft family shrine. Tomb to Mary Moyser died 1633: her effigy lies on its side above small effigies of her children and beneath a lengthy oval inscription flanked by Corinthian columns: pediment with figures of Truth, Charity and Justice. The walls are entirely lined with panelling: each of the 173 panels is painted with a coat of arms connected with the family.

Listing NGR: SE9971646854

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
164513
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Sep 2006
Reference: IOE01/15767/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Les Waby. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].