CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1310519
Date first listed:
14-Jun-1952
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310519 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Oct-2019 at 23:40:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Redcar and Cleveland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 58304 19745

Details

WILTON WILTON NZ 51 NE 7/112 Church of St. Cuthbert 14.6.52 - II*

Church, c.1800 on plinth of C12 and C13 church, incorporating much original masonry including south doorway and some windows. Altered c.1850; restored, re-roofed and vestry and boilerhouse added, 1907/08. Dressed sandstone; brick bell turret except for west face. Plain clay tiled roofs; Lakeland slate on porch and boilerhouse roofs. Stone ridge and gable copings with cross finials. Renewed zinc cladding to spire; lead vestry roof. Nave with west bell turret, south porch, lower chancel, north vestry and boilerhouse. Romanesque and Gothic styles. Nave has angle buttresses, those at west end with spirelets rising from plain corniced pedestals. 6-bay south wall has gabled projecting porch in 3rd bay: boarded double doors in Tudor-arched moulded surround, under hoodmould with worn mask stops; cross finial. Narrow round-headed windows in first and 4th bays, the former C13. Other bays have c.1900 windows with Geometric tracery. C12 round-headed doorway inside porch, with 2 orders of zig-zag moulding, the outer order on nook shafts whose capitals have spiral volutes, star and dogtooth mouldings. North wall has boarded double doors in round-arched opening; 2 lancets at left and C13 narrow round-headed window at right. Mid C19 square-headed west window, with reticulated tracery, under hoodmould. Bell turret has quoins, rectangular bell openings with louvres, hoodmould to west, cornice and recessed octagonal spire. Chancel has diagonal buttresses and short battered buttress against east wall. South wall has paired and single pointed windows flanking blocked segmental-pointed doorway. Similar window in north wall. Corbel tables at eaves incorporate 6 worn C13 grotesques on south side. East window with curvilinear tracery c.1900. Lean-to vestry and boilerhouse with stack at north-east corner. Interior : at west end early C20 tripartite pointed arcade, with hollow-chamfered piers and 2 moulded orders, defines baptistry. Similar chancel arch without responds. Wide segmental-arched opening between chancel and vestry. Moulded and crenellated wall plate. Barrel roofs, above moulded and carved tie beams,in nave. Early C19 wood communion rails with turned balusters and ball finials. Mid/late C19 carved stone font. 2 C14 grave covers in porch, with figures of female and knight. Carved architectural fragments built into south wall of chancel.

Listing NGR: NZ5830419745

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
60378
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16928/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Lorna Freeman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].