Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LADOCA
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310553.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:07:03.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SW 89457 50986


LADOCK CHURCH LANE SW 85 SE 1/29 Church of St Ladoca - GV I

Parish church C15 (consecrated 1268), restored by G E Street for Canon Wise 1864. Shale rubble with granite quoins, dressings and ashlar in tower, slate roofs. Nave, ohancel, west tower, north transepts, south aisle and south porch. Nave has 2 C19 buttresses and 1 C15 perpendicular granite window which is similar to all other C15 ones. Transept to nave is C15 and has C15 window in gable. Pointed arched door to west side is C19. Transept to chancel has mullioned bay attached to gable with battlements over. Reused C15 window in east wall. Chancel window in freestone is 1864 and has cinquefoil over centre. East window of south aisle has reticulated cusped tracery of 1869. South wall 1:1:4 bays. Windows are C15 with slightly taller one to left of porch. Porch has gabled roof and 4 centred arched granite door frame. West window is 1896 with cusped freestone tracery. Roofs have granite coped gables. Tower is granite ashlar of 3 stages with offset buttresses. Angel corbels support those over nave. Perpendicular louvred openings in bell storey with battlemented parapet over and battlemented and crocketed corner pinnacles surmounted by crosses. Semi-circular headed moulded granite door frame to tower suggests Renaissance influence and later date than main fabric. Interior of nave has standard granite arcade of diagonally set piers with torus, fillet and cavetto mouldings of 2 bays into north transept and 4 bays to south aisle continuing for 2 more bays between chancel and chapel. Unceiled C15 wagon roof has carved principal ribs and under purlins. North transept has C19 roof. Chancel window centre light is by Burne Jones with flanking ones by William Morris. The pitch pine king post roof has cusped arched braces and wind braces. Granite arch to north transept containing organ is 1908 as is the freestone barrel vaulted roof over and vestry beyond. East window of south aisle has William Morris glass and west window which is later looks like Pre-raphaelite work. Unceiled C15 wagon roof over with carved principal ribs, wall plates and under purlins. Similar roof survives in porch. Tower ceiling is divided into 4 panels by chamfered oak beams with masons mitres at intersection. Panels have chamfered joists which run in alternate directions. Stair in north west corner. Fittings include high alter frontal panels by Ed. A E Prynne 1897, alabaster reredos, C16 carved oak panels in rood screen, circular C19 pitch pine pulpit with cusped arcading on turned shafts and choir stalls of similar design. The circular font is probably late Norman and of Catecleuse stone (Pevsner) has scalloped square base with plain turned shaft supporting bowl with a kind of cable moulding at bottom with palmettes in round panels surmounted by border with crosses. Slate on west wall of nave to William Randall 1657 and John Randell 1665. In porch over inner door is freestone head (possibly Norman) a granite piscina or font to right of door, village stocks for 2 people and a slate grave slab on east wall with carved skeleton, skull and crossed bones and hour glass to Nicholas Cornelius 1632. Dated stone in south wall at west end reads: "PB II CW l783" (church warden?).

Listing NGR: SW8945450990


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2006
Reference: IOE01/15650/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Oliver E. Harford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].