CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1310684
Date first listed:
19-Feb-1970
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MARKET PLACE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310684.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 04:11:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County Durham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 27418 42587

Details

DURHAM AND FRAMWELLGATE MARKET PLACE NZ 2742 NW (North side)

9/234

Church of St Nicholas 19.2.70

GV

II

Parish church. 1857-8 by J.P. Pritchett. Snecked sandstone with ashlar dressings; graduated Lakeland slate roof with stone gable copings. Aisled nave and chancel; south porch and south tower. Decorated style. 5-stage tower in second bay from west has angle buttresses with gabled offsets; double door with ornate iron hinges in shafted and moulded surround with ballflower decoration; arms of City of Durham and church in blind quatrefoils at either side under quatrefoil band and sloped coping, imitating Kepier Hospital gatehouse (q.v.). Elaborate canopied niche above contains statue of St. Nicholas, flanked by blind cross-slits. Tall third stage has 2 high windows. Mask brackets support clock under pinnacled gablet; paired 2-light belfry openings above under battlemented parapet on ballflower- and-mask brackets. Gabled corner pinnacles; tall octagonal stone spire with lucarnes. 3-light aisle windows in bays defined by buttresses with gablets and pinnacles; 4-light chancel window in first bay. Clerestory has rounded triangular windows. East front has shallow gabled porch in south aisle and 2-light window in north, with gabled buttresses; large 5-light east window; 4-light west window.

Interior: painted plaster with arch-braced collar and king-post roof. 4-bay north arcade and 2-bay south arcade have leaf-carved capitals to shafted columns; high chancel arch in similar style. Re-ordered, with chancel arch and aisles filled with glazed screens forming chapel. Tower has 8-ribbed vault with heraldic and floral corbels; central boss carved ST.N. and dated 1858. Traceried stone screens in chancel commemorate Ralph Dixon and are gift of the proprietors of Durham Waterworks in 1858. Glass by L.C. Evetts in south aisle, 1963.

Listing NGR: NZ2741842587

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
110286
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08034/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Thomas A. Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].