ALL HALLOWS CHURCH OF SAINT KEA
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- ALL HALLOWS CHURCH OF SAINT KEA
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1310700.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Feb-2020 at 01:03:26.
- Statutory Address:
- ALL HALLOWS CHURCH OF SAINT KEA
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SW 81006 42653
SW 84 SW KEA KEA
2/156 All Hallows Church of Saint Kea 30.5.67
Parish church, 1894,by C.H. Fellowes Prynne, Donors: John Claude Daubez and Wm, Lovey Hearle and built by local builder, A Carkeek; replacing plain rectangular church built 1802 to a design by James Wyatt. Faced shale rubble walls with dressed granite quoins, copings, jambstones, mullions and arches. Steep red tile roofs with coped gable ends to nave, chancel, organ aisle and north transept; outshuts at lower pitch over aisles; hip to north of vestry and gable end to south porch. Embattled parapet to north porch and to tower with copper spire. Stone lateral chimney over side wall of chancel serving vestry. Nave/chancel, under one roof, west tower, north and south aisles, north transept to chancel vestry in angle, north porch in angle between transept and vestry, south organ projection at east of south aisle and south porch towards west end. Late Perpendicular style with Arts and Crafts influence. 3-stage west tower with moulded plinth; weathered diagonal corner buttresses to top of second stage; moulded cornice to embattled parapet surmounted by broach spire. Moulded 4-centred west doorway with label and carved stops and quatrefoils to spandrels. Perpendicular style 3-light window over with transom dividing tracery and label with carved stops. Upper stage of tower has 2 round-headed louvered and traceried openings to each side within recessed panel with machicolated cornice. Otherwise all windows are more conventional Perpendicular style. Octagonal stair turret to north wall, in angle between tower and north aisle, rising to top of second stage and with granite roof. West windows to north and south aisle flanking tower each with 2 lights, tracery and labels with stops. All walls with plinths. North wall of north aisle has 5 flat-headed traceried windows: wider 3-light window to middle and buttresses between this and paired similar 2-light windows left and right. North transept has north gable end with 2 flat-headed 2-light cusped windows. Adjoining 4-centred doorway to porch, left, with carved stops to label. Vestry set back to far left is lit by flat-headed window with cusped lights with door and window to basement, under. Chancel has north window to left of chimney. East gable end has diagonal corner buttresses and further buttress incorporating inscribed foundation stone below 5- light window with wheel tracery to rose. South wall of chancel has single-light window with tracery. Further single-light windows with tracery to gable end of south organ projection to far left and right. South wall has gabled entrance porch, left, 2 windows to south aisle and projecting chapel to right with 3 windows. Porch is in Arts and Crafts style with stone walls on plinth to sill level and timber frame structure over with coloured leaded cupsed lights between studs as mullions both to side walls and flanking doorway. 2-light window in gable over with stylized trailing vine carving to barge board. South aisle windows, 2-light one to left and 3-light one to right, with buttress between, are flat-headed with cupsed lights. Organ projection has diagonal corner buttresses and buttress between windows 2 and 3 from left. All windows have 2 lights with tracery over within arched openings with stopped labels. Interior is little altered with walls of polychrome dressed stone brought to course; limestone arcades of 3 bays, between nave and aisle, with 4-centred moulded arches enriched with 4-leaf and other carved details over octagonal piers; polychrome chancel arch on corbels each with 3 shafts plus 2 further arches to aisles from choir; and original pine roof structure with widely spaced arch-braced trusses. East window depicts saints including some of Christ's opostles and some Cornish saints including St Kea and King Arthur. Memorial window in north to those fallen in First World War with armoured angel in 1 light and other light, with armoured soldier, to Lieutenant Arthur Donald Sowell, who died August 24th 1916 in the Battle of the Somme. Fittings: Norman freestone Bodmin type (Pevsner) font with round bowl on 4 shafts and carving to 4 faces of the bowl with flared cross to east, lion-like animal to west and young tree of life to north and older one to south; nowy-headed painted letter of thanks to Royalist supporters in Cornwall from Charles II, transcribed by George Withiell 1686. (Both these items from former church of Saint Kea, Old Kea); otherwise mostly C19 fittings except carved oak bench ends to choir, said to be by prisoners-of-war circa 1914. A very impressive building set in unspoilt wooded surroundings with a graveyard with many C19 graves.
Listing NGR: SW8100642653
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing