Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1311621.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 21:51:17.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 14614 73240


BLISLAND TEMPLE SX 17 SW 9/82 Church of St Catherine 6.6.69 GV II*

Church. Circa late C12 or early C13 origins, heavily restored between 1852-1883 by Silvanus Trevail. Snecked granite and moorstone with granite dressings. Steeply pitched slate roof with decorative fish-scale slates and slate barge boards. Nave and chancel in one with gabled ends to lower north transept and south porch. Plan: Church had fallen into state of decay when fund set up for restoration in 1850. Although the base of the tower may date from the late C12 or early C13, the church was almost entirely rebuilt by Silvanus Trevail, who drew up the plans free of charge. There are the remains of a Norman font and much of the earlier dressed stone has been reused in the church and building to the south (qv). Church reputedly rebuilt on earlier foundations with west tower, nave and chancel, north transept and south porch. Exterior: West tower of 2 stages with chamfered plinth and strings. 1-light window to first stage and C19 1-light belfry openings with slate louvres. The second stage is recessed and the top corbelled out with a heavy battlemented parapet. 1 and 2- light C19 lancet windows in north and south sides of nave and chancel with reused dressed stone cusped head and spandrels to lancet window on north side of nave. C19 gabled south porch with ornate C19 hinges to inner plank door. Interior: C19 arch braced roof. Chamfered 2-centred tower arch with impost mouldings. No floor to second stage of tower. Restored Norman font with square base and simple round granite bowl. C20 furnishings. C19 stained glass windows with subjects largely relating to Knights Templars and Hospitallers. In 1150 King Stephen gave the Knights Templars (a military and religious order founded in 1118) the Manor of Trebeigh in St Ive parish (qv Trebeigh Manor) together with Temple, forming the Preceptory of Trebeigh. In 1312 the Knights Templars were suppressed and their lands handed over to the Knights Hospitallers. The order was suppressed during the Reformation and the lands confiscated, later being granted to Henry Wilbye, George Blyke and passing to the Wrey family in the C17. The church, until 1753, became famous as a place where marriages could be performed without banns or license. When such marriages became illegal, the church fell into disuse and no services were held for more than a century. A fund was started for rebuilding in 1850 and the church was opened in 1883. Church Guide. Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The buildings of England, Cornwall 1970 Listing description for Trebeigh Manor, St Ive, Cornwall.

Listing NGR: SX1461473240


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/11954/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Gill Cardy. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].