BARROW COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1311901
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1952
Statutory Address:
BARROW COURT, BARROW COURT LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARROW COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1311901.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2019 at 14:31:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARROW COURT, BARROW COURT LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Barrow Gurney
National Grid Reference:
ST 51430 68437

Details

ST 56 NW BARROW GURNEY C.P. BARROW COURT LANE (west side)

3/5 Barrow Court 13.lO.52 G.V. II*

Country house, now in several ownerships. Originally a Benedictine nunnery converted for residential purposes c.1538, rebuilt c.1545, altered and extended c.1602 and further altered and extended in 1882. Squared and coursed rubble with freestone dressings, slate roofs to main block, pantiles to subsidiary ranges and ashlar stacks. E shaped central block of c.1545 with c.1602 L shaped range to the west and further C17 range to the north east. 2 storeys and attics. Largely symmetrical east front with 3 and 4-light mullioned and transomed windows with hoodmoulds and small leaded pane casements under flush relieving arches. 4th bay to the right has two 6-light windows and all attic windows are set within gables. Similar 2-light mullioned windows in C17 range much renewed in 1882. Doorcase to porch in central projection has Ionic pilasters with masks, a segmental pediment open and broken by a cartouche and 2 reclining figures. Moulded Tudor arch to porch, C19 plank and batten door to inner doorway. 5-light canted oriel to west range. Ball finials to gable ends, tall ashlar stacks and central open cupola with fish-scale base and conical lead cap. Interior. The interior was extensively restored and renewed in 1882 but several early C17 features survive: a panelled Parlour off the Great Hall with rich arabesque patterned ceiling and decorative frieze; a grand Jacobean staircase with fine plaster ceiling in style a mixture of Gothic and Renaissance motifs with a central pendant and intricate cusped rib patterning; a similar plaster ribbed ceiling in the Great Chamber or Solar above the Great Hall and contemporary chimney piece and overmantel; a second, minor, staircase giving onto the Long Gallery; the Ilex Room has a chimney and overmantel supported by figures of Justice and Mercy. The Great Hall was remodelled in 1882 but some sections of the Screens Passage may date from the early C17. The other notable late C19 interior is the Chapel above the porch which has contemporary woodwork and Kempe glass. (J. Collinson, History of Somerset, 1791; Country Life, 18 January 1902; W.J. Robinson, West Country Manors, 1930; R. Cooke, West Country Houses, 1957; N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).

Listing NGR: ST5143068437

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33873
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Collinson, J, History and Antiquities of the County of Somerset, (1791)
Cooke, R, West Country Houses, (1957)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Somerset and Bristol, (1958)
Robinson, W J, West Country Manors, (1930)
'Country Life' in 18 January, (1902)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic interest in England, Part 1 Avon,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].