SX 15 NW ST WINNOW
6/129 Church of St Winnow
Parish church. Norman traces in north walls of nave, north transept and chancel.
Partly rebuilt in C13. South aisle, porch and tower circa C15. Parts of north wall
of nave, chancel and north transept rebuilt in late C19.
Rubblestone with coursed stone to south aisle, porch and base of tower. Moulded
granite plinth to tower. Unmoulded plinth to south aisle and south porch. No plinth
moulding to nave, chancel and north transept. Slate roof with nave and chancel in one
with continuous roof. 6-bay south aisle of equal length. East window with C19
decorated tracery under 2 centred arch. Chancel north side with 3-light window with
segmental heads under rectangular hood reset and partly restored. Further window of
one light with segmental head with rectangular hood and unmoulded drips also reset,
possibly when wall rebuilt. North transept with 3-light C19 east window with cusped
heads under rectangular hood with figure heads in drips. North window of north
transept of 3-lights, early Perpendicular tracery under 2-centred arch with decorated
drips. West wall of north transept possibly rebuilt. Abuts the left-hand jamb of a
C13 2-light window with cusped heads and possibly blocked light above. 2 late C19
decorated 2-light windows adjoining to the west with a brick and stone chimney
between. Evidence of part of relieving arch, similar to that above C13 window partly
blocked by later fenestration.
South aisle east window of 4-lights with ferrimenta under 4-centred arch, with
hood and unmoulded shields in drips. Tracery partly renewed. South aisle with 3-
light Perpendicular windows under 2-centred arches with hoods and decorated drips.
Cavetto moulded jambs. Tracery partly renewed. South priests doorway between fourth
and fifth window with 4-centred arch with roll moulding. West window of south aisle
of similar style to that of east. Tower of 3 stages with setback, stepped buttresses
with exception of east side and embattlemented tower. West door arch replaced with
finer granite 2-centred arch with hood mould and cavetto moulded jambs and pyramid
stops, possibly C19. Above, 3-light C19 Perpendicular window with deep cavetto mould.
On east side of tower, 2-light window with pointed heads under 2-centred arch,
possibly reset C13 window. 2-light belfry openings with transom on 4 faces with
cusped heads and louvres under 2-centred arches. South porch with 2-centred arched
entrance with similar roll mould as south priest's door. Cusped head to empty deep
niche above in rectangular granite surround with cavetto mould jambs and roll moulded
frame. Niche above under basket arch. South door with dated and initialled lock 'IS
Interior: 6-bay arcade to south aisle with standard type A (Pevsner) granite
piers with decorated engaged octagonal capitals. Waggon roof to nave, chancel, south
aisle and porch with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Elaborately carved wall plate to
east end of south aisle. Shields in arcade plate in nave.
North transept arch rebuilt in C13. Tall tower arch partly blocked. Bench ends.
C16 and early C17 with fine carving including figure of Cornishman in kilt and an
elaborate ship. Chancel reseated. Elaborately carved rood screen continuing across
east end of nave and south aisle, circa 1520. Restored in 1907 by E M Sedding.
Coving added and tracery reconstructed to south aisle. Comprises elaborate base of
screen with carved foliage. 2 centred arches to 4-light Perpendicular tracery.
Elaborate coving and figures of crucifixion, Virgin and St John above, erected in
memory of Francis Buller Howell, 1918. Font of granite, circa C15 with inscription
"Ecce Karissimi de deo. vero baptizabuntur spiritu sancto" around round bowl.
Supported by 4 engaged shafts on octagonal base. C17 oak octagonal font cover with
elaborate finial. Oak pulpit circa 1620. Octagonal with elaborately carved panels
with round arches on decorated pilasters with curved brackets on corners. Stands on
heavy bulbous legs.
Letter from King Charles I to the Cornish in west tower arch, painted with wings
and head of angel on top. Board above south door signed and dated. C Tomkins Vicar,
Glass: east window of south aisle, stained glass of some note circa 1500
containing kneeling figures, rows of standing saints, arms and effigies of Lords of
Ethy Chantry for whom south aisle was built as a chantry restored in 1867 in memory of
Wilham and Elizabeth Foster of Lanwithan. Ancient glass also in chancel east window
depicting crucifixion reset. Some early glass incorporated into later design in
single light north window of chancel. Heraldic shield in top light of west window in
south aisle. Fine late C19 or early C20 window to west of nave depicting Angel
appearing after Christ had risen in memory of Mary Agnes Richardson and Harriet Roger.
Memorials: slate stone in porch in memory of Edmund Dyer, 1722. In north wall of
south aisle east end, slatestone to William Sawle of Newham, gent, buried in 1651.
Repaired in 1838 by Sir J S G Sawle.
In north transept painting of interior of church presented by Rev. Percival Fry,
Vicar of parish, 1835 - 1864. Prior to restoration illustrating screen without coving
and tracery in south aisle and with box pews in east end of south aisle. Wood bell
frame of 1899 by Stokes.
Source: C Henderson, The Cornish Church Guide, 1925, Kelly's Directory of Cornwall,
1889; N Pevsner and E Radcliffe, The Buildings of England, Cornwall, 2nd edition 1970;
Guide to the Churches of Bodmin Deanery, 1977
Listing NGR: SX1153856970