Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1311998.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Apr-2021 at 06:33:48.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 26028 56720



4/57 Church of St Wenna -


Parish church. Circa C15 although possibly with earlier origins indicated by C13 font and south window of chancel. Probably remodelled in C15, partly refenestrated in C16 and restored in mid C19. Tower and north aisle probably added in later C15 and south transept probably remodelled in 1671 (datestone). Evidence of remodelling of roof to nave and chancel on east wall of west tower. Stone rubble with slate roofs with nave and chancel in one. Comprises 5-bay nave, chancel, north aisle, south transept, south porch and west tower of 3 stages. Vestry added probably in early C19 at angle between chancel and east wall of north aisle. Tracery mostly C16 partly restored in C19. Nave; to west of south door, 3-light circa C16 rectangular window with segmental arched openings with slight ogee cusp. South transept appropriated for use of Buller family with private entrance on west side with 2-centred arch with hoodmould and initials and date 1 B 1671; 3-light south window with C19 Perpendicular tracery, sundial inscribed 'Per me Jacobum Couch. VT HORA SIC VITA 1671' with floral trail, and 3-light possibly C16 east window in rectangular surround with segmental arched openings and slight ogee cusps. Chancel south window possibly C13 (Pevsner); 2-light rectangular opening with cusped foiled heads, with similar C19 window to east and south priest's door between in segmental arched opening with chamfered jambs and pyramid stops. East chancel window of 3 lights with C19 Perpendicular tracery although the jambs and hoodmould appear earlier and the stone work indicates a reduction in the size of the east window. Vestry in north east angle with 2-centred arched opening and large projecting chimney stack. North aisle with 5 probably C16 3-light windows in rectangular surrounds with segmental heads, slight ogee cusp and hoodmoulds with stepped buttresses between; 3- light west window circa late C16 with 4-centred arch and raised central light. West tower of 3 stages with moulded granite plinth and strings, battlemented cornice, square turrets and crocketted finials with crosses above; west door with segmental arched opening with heavy rollmould, rectangular surround with hoodmould and plank door with strap hinges incised with crude chevron decoration. 3-light window above similar to west window in north aisle, top stage with 3-light belfry openings in 4- centred arches with slate louvres, and 2 gargoyles on north face with further gargoyle on south. Gabled stone rubble south porch with 2-centred arched opening with ovolo-moulded jambs and hoodmould. South door within in 2-centred arched opening with ovolo-moulded jambs, diagonal stops, double plank door with moulded lock rail, strap hinges and heavy lock. Interior Roof to nave replaced in circa 1960s/70s, roof to south porch replaced in mid C19, circa. late C15 ceiled waggon roof to north aisle of good quality with carved longitudinal and transverse ribs, wall and arcade plates and ornate carved bosses. Sealed waggon roof to south transept with moulded wall plates. 5-bay arcade with type A (Pevsner) piers on tall moulded bases with carved capitals and wide 2-centred moulded arcade arches with torus, cavetto and chamfer. 4-centred moulded tower arch on carved corbels. Furnishings largely C19 and C20. South transept, appropriated by Buller family with 2 front benches with circa C18 fielded panels, carved on both sides with blind arcade of ogee cusped arches and with central panel with coat of arms. Octagonal font of elvan stone, possibly C13. C17 alms box at west end of nave aisle, royal arms over south door 1801-16 painting on wood. Victorian texts painted on possibly tin panels around south transept and chancel, commandments boards and boards with Creed and Lord's Prayer. Memorials; chancel, north wall with ledger stone with strapwork decoration and heraldic arms in relief, partly obscured by radiator. North aisle with monuments to the Mayow family of Bray (qv) with classical monument to Philip Mayow, died 1710 and Frances his daughter who died in 1717, marble with broken freestone pediment and coat of arms; C19 brass monument to Philip Wynell Mayow and members of family, 1844-1895, with good lettering. South transept; west wall with slate ledger stone of Walter Coode, died 1637 with kneeling parents and children allegorically expressed by fruits growing from branches issuing from parents. The skulls above the fruits indicate, according to Pevsner, the death of the children before the parents. East wall of transept with C19 and C20 memorials to the Tremayne, Buller-Kitson and Kitson families. Bells re-hung in 1928. Sites and Monuments Register, Truro, Cornwall. Pevsner, N and Radcliffe, E The Buildings of England, Cornwall 2nd ed., 1970.

Listing NGR: SX2602856718


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/04944/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Anne Newell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].