CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1312070
Date first listed:
23-Jan-1961
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312070 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2019 at 06:38:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BOTOLPH, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Central Bedfordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Aspley Guise
National Grid Reference:
SP 94249 36248

Details

SP 9436-9536 ASPLEY GUISE CHURCH STREET 5/14 Church of St Botolph 23.1.61 GV II* Parish church. Medieval origins, extensively reworked early and later C19. Mainly coursed ironstone with ashlar dressings. Tower of coursed limestone rubble. Clay tile roofs to chancel and chapel. Slate roofs to nave and aisles. Chancel, N rector's vestry, N organ chamber and choir vestry, 8 chapel, nave, N and S aisles,W porch/tower. Chancel: late C19, 3-light pointed-arched E window, 2-light pointed S window. N rector's vestry: late C19, with 2-light window and flat roofed C20 brick addition adjoining to N. N organ chamber/choir vestry: late C19 projecting gable, with flat-headed 4- light N window. S (Nativity) Chapel: late C19. 2-light pointed E window, 3- light square-headed S window, and 3-centred arched S doorway. Nave: C15, reworked C19. 4-bay N and S arcades, parts of N one original. Clerestories on both sides have 4 2-light square-headed windows. C19 embattled parapets. N aisle: E part (now N chapel) is medieval, partly reworked C19. Slightly taller W part C19, probably 1855. W part has 3 square-headed 3-light windows. E part has 3-light square-headed window and 4-centred headed doorway surmounted by 2-light square-headed window. 3-light E window gives onto N organ chamber. Rose window to W. Embattled parapet. W porch/tower: C15, repaired C17, C18 and 1855. 3 stages, divided by string courses, with diagonal buttresses to W angles. C19 embattled parapet. Square-headed 2-light window to each side of bell-stage. S elevation has pointed-arched doorway surmounted by square-headed single light. W elevation has pointed-arched dooway. Interior: roofs mainly C19, except N aisle E end retains one original moulded king-post truss with figured corbels. N aisle has C15 traceried screen. C14 circular font with 4 moulded shafts forming corners. N aisle has tomb chest with effigy of knight, probably Sir William Tyrington, e1400. N aisle floor has brasses, one to John Danvers, rector, c1410, other c1500, probably to Sir John de Gyse IV. 2 polychrome marble wall monuments to N aisle N wall, to Francis Norcliffe, 1724, and William Wright 1807. Chancel N wall has brass, in simple marble strapwork surround, to William Stone, rector from 1583 to 1617. E.M.R. Ditmas The Parish Church of St Botolph, Aspley Guise: A Short History 1970.

Listing NGR: SP9424936248

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
38117
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditmas, E M R , The Parish Church of St Botolph Aspley Guise A Short History, (1970)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/02423/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Serena Teer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].