CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1312157
Date first listed:
11-Apr-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312157.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:01:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Allerdale (District Authority)
Parish:
Boltons
National Grid Reference:
NY 22959 40771

Details

NY 24 SW BOLTONS Boltongate

6/23 Church of All Saints

1l.4.67 I

Parish Church. Mostly late C14 incorporating part of the plinth of the earlier church. Squared and coursed limestone with nave parapet, all on chamfered plinth. Steeply-pitched red sandstone slate nave roof and graduated greenslate chancel roof with coped gable and cross finial. 2-bay nave with north and south porches, transept chapels and west twin bellcote, moved to its present position in 1812; 3-bay chancel with north lean-to vestry. Pointed-arched lean-to stone porches. 3-light panel-tracery windows, that in west wall under 3-light cusped fLat-headed windows; similar 2-light windows in transepts, all under hoodmoulds with carved-head label stops. Flattened hexagonal north-east stair turret under stone slate spire gives access to parapet walk which goes completely around nave, the bellcote set back to allow for the walkway. Chancel has south priest's doorway in pointed arch and 2-light cusped and panel-tracery windows, all under hoodmoulds with carved label stops. Similar east window. 2-light south window and vestry window with flat heads, the vestry window with cusps, both with hoods. Interior of nave has pointed stone barrel-vaulted roof with half-vaulted transepts. Projecting corbel stones were perhaps to support the centering over which the vault was built. West wall has upper corbelling to support parapet walk. Door beside chancel arch gives access to spiral stone staircase up to parapet walk and also gave access to rood screen; one of the supporting corbel stones for this is above the doorway. Piscinae in both transepts, that in south transept with ogee arch and also aumbry recesses. Receut C14 font of which only the carving under the bowl is original. Chancel has C19 open timber roof on C14 corbels. Late C18 and early C19 wall plaques. Piscina in south wall. Pointed-arched doorway to vestry. Late C19 furnishings and fittings. Stained glass dated 1864 and 1884 by R.B. Edmundson. C19 creed and pater boards on west wall.

Listing NGR: NY2295640772

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
72332
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/12767/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Wright. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].