- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- THE NUNNERY
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312417.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:10:30.
- Statutory Address:
- THE NUNNERY
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Eden (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- NY 53726 42849
NY 53730 42850 AINSTABLE STAFFIELD
NY 54 SW
6/14 The Nunnery 27.12.67 G.V. I Guest house, formerly Benedictine Nunnery. Walls partly of mid C13, with additions and alterations of C16 and early C17 for the Graham family, further C17 alterations for John Aglionby (1694 date stone removed to stable block); early C18 east facade (formerly thought to be 1715 but looks 1740s) for Henry Aglionby, H.A.A. (or H.M.) cipher over entrance. Medieval walls of large blocks of red sandstone rubble with C16 extensions of smaller sandstone rubble; C18 work of red sandstone ashlar, green slate roof, numerous ashlar ridge and end chimney stacks. 2½storeys, 9 bays, double span. Facade has plinth and quoins with V-shaped joints, string course, moulded cornice; central 3 bays project and have moulded parapet with flanking open balustraded parapets. Double panelled door and radial fanlight in moulded round arch with false keystone; pilastered surround, moulded entablature and frieze with metopes and triglyphs, segmental moulded pediment. Sash windows with glazing bars in moulded stone architraves. Ground floor rear wall is medieval for almost its complete length. Fenestration of different periods; small blocked probably medieval staircase windows to right; blocked C16 2 light mullioned windows, one with segmental rear arch with C13 dog-tooth decoration, now forming internal niche. Central blocked C16 entrance; 3 1694 cross mullioned windows to right ground floor; other sash windows with glazing bars are early C18. Part of ground floor south end wall is also medieval and continues internally, parallel with the rear wall; mixed fenestration of medieval, C16, C18 and C19 windows on various levels. Similar C16, C18 and C19 windows on various levels in north end wall; repositioned inscription stone THOUGH VAILED BENEDICTINS/ARE REMOVED HENCE/THINK OF THEIR POVERTY CHASTITY/FAITH AND OBEDIENCE (last word now weathered away). Interior has many original features of different periods; probable C16 stone fireplace; early C18 wooden panelling, mid C18 staircase with 3 balusters to each step and carved tread-ends. Referred to as the nunnery of Armathwaite in 1200, but often destroyed and rebuilt in Scottish raids. Leased in 1538 to Leonard Barrow; granted to William Graham in 1553, whose son Fergus married Barrow's daughter; sold to Sir John Lowther in 1690 for £1,436 and exchanged for Drumburgh Castle in 1694; remained in Aglionby family, through the female line until 1893. See Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiquarian & Archaeological Society, new series, vol xvii, p.1-5; vol lx p.52-54.
Listing NGR: NY5372842850
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 1-5
'Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society' in Transactions Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, (), 52-54
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing