Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILLOW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312492.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 17:48:41.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 14469 51523



8/49 Church of St Willow(formerly listed as Parish Church of St Wyllow) 21/8/64 GV I

Parish Church with Norman origins. Traces of Norman work in tower arches and in jambs on south doorway. A XP stone built into main doorway was dated by Pevsner to be C8 at latest. Church reconstructed at end of C14 with tower, nave and north arcade. South arcade circa C15. Porch possibly rebuilt in C17. Church restored by E H Sedding in 1904-5. Rubblestone with granite dressings. Slate roof with nave and chancel in one under continuous roof. North and south aisles continue to west end of chancel. Single buttress on south aisle and 3 buttresses on north, 2 stepped and 1 heightened with chimney. South aisle west window, 3-light Perpendicular with C19 restoration. Wide 2- centred arch with hood and drips. To west of porch, two 3-light Perpendicular windows with rectangular hoods and drips ornamented with shields. To east of porch, 3 perpendicular windows in 4-centred arches. 2 to west of 4-lights, and window to east of 3. Two 2-light perpendicular windows with slight ogee headed trefoils to east windows of north and south aisles. East window, C19, decorated tracery with hood and drips. East window of north aisle, 3-light rectangular with trefoil heads. Possibly reset. To north aisle. Three 4-light Perpendicular windows under 4-centred arches with hoods. North door with pointed, chamfered, granite arch. 3-light rectangular Perpendicular window with hood and drips decorated with shields in partly blocked opening to west of north door. Unbuttressed tower of four stages with battlemented cornice with crochetted finials. West window with C19 decorated tracery of 3 lights. 3-light cusped belfry openings with slate louvres in rectangular surround with hood. Pointed relieving arches. South porch gabled with 2-centred chamfered arch. Sundial above. Round-headed holy water stoup in east wall. South door with chamfered jambs. On jambs three distinct crosses, two on east jamb and one on west. 5-bay arcade of octagonal piers of Pentewan stone to north and south aisles. North arcade circa C14 with octagonal piers on square bases with simple octagonal slightly cushioned capitals. Almost round arches. South arcade circa C15 with moulded bases on square plinths with moulded octagonal capitals. Tall tower arch, of simple double chamfered section, opening into nave and aisles. Large engaged piers on east side of tower arch opening to north and south aisles. Original unceiled waggon roofs throughout with chamfered ribs in north aisle and moulded to nave and south aisle. Elaborated bench ends circa 1500. Circa C13 font with Pentewan stone bowl with stiff leaf carving. Purbeck marble detached shafts on rounded bases with heavy simple caps. Bowl hollowed octagonally inside (only example in Cornwall). Rood loft stairs in south aisle. Carved oak altar table, gift of Baronet Mohun to Parish in 1634. Altar table in Lady Chapel designed by Sedding. Alabaster panel depicting martyrdom of St Lawrence fixed to wall above. Found during restoration. 2-centred arch to piscina in Lady Chapel and rounded arch to piscina in south wall of chancel. Chancel aisle probably Mohun Chapel. Tomb chest in canopied recess in south chancel aisle built for Thomas Mohun who supervised its construction. Late C15. Originally with painting of resurection on wall above tomb. Dividing panels of round arches on decorated pilasters with foliage bands at sides and heraldic arms in centres. Partly painted. 2 watercolours at west end of Church illustrate church interior prior to restoration with box pews insitu. Signed Jane M Perceval, 1903. Fragments of early glass in east window of south aisle with heraldic shields and figures of nativity and the annunciation. Fragments in windows in north aisle. North and south chancel windows by Kemp with figures of Saints Prisca, Agnes, Sebastian and Kabiam. South aisle west window by Kempe and Tower. Stocks at west end of Church. C Henderson The Cornish Church Guide 1925. Kelly's Directory of Cornwall, 1889 N Pevsner and E Radcliffe The Buildings of England, Cornwall rp. 1970. Church Guide rp.1981.

Listing NGR: SX1472152339


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Church of St Willow Lanteglos By Fowey Church Guide, (1981)
Henderson, C, The Cornish Church Guide, (1925)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970)
'Kelly's Directory' in Kelly's Directory, (1889)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/13346/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Norman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].