CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1312770
Date first listed:
22-Jan-1976
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, ST JOHN'S ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1312770.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 20:14:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, ST JOHN'S ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Somerset (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Clevedon
National Grid Reference:
ST 40664 71209

Details

CLEVEDON ST JOHN'S ROAD ST 4071 (South side) 1/15 Church of St John

II*

Church. 1875-6, by William Butterfield for Sir Arthur Elton. Squared and coursed local stone, with Bath stone banding and dressings; plain tile roof. Nave with aisles, transepts and south-west tower with saddleback roof; new porch and second vestry added 1883-4. Exterior designed in a robust Gothic Revival style typical of Butterfield, with paired lancets to aisles and otherwise an imaginative use of Middle Pointed tracery to all windows, including a rose window to the north transept, combined with a robust handling of the principal elements. Interior: narrow aisles with arcades on square chamfered piers without capitals. Pulpit and choir fittings of oak and walnut intermixed; patterned plain and encaustic tiles, with an effective use of Devonshire and other marbles in the chancel. Lower part of walls in nave and aisles lined with red and other coloured Staffordshire tiles. Finely-carpentered roof throughout, with a brattished cornice and deep canted arch bracing to nave. Due to subsidence the stone arch dividing the interior has been replaced by a girder and iron screen by C.S. Hare, 1909. Glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. Lady Chapel fitted by Hare. The chancel reredos originally had marble cross surrounded by four Evangelistic emblems in mosaic on gold grounds.

Listing NGR: ST4066471209

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
33125
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01133/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Evans. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].