FORMER AIRCRAFT HANGAR APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES SOUTH EAST OF HEADLEY HALL FARM

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1313179
Date first listed:
03-Dec-1986
Statutory Address:
FORMER AIRCRAFT HANGAR APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES SOUTH EAST OF HEADLEY HALL FARM, SPEN COMMON LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1313179.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Apr-2021 at 22:31:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER AIRCRAFT HANGAR APPROXIMATELY 200 METRES SOUTH EAST OF HEADLEY HALL FARM, SPEN COMMON LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Leeds (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Bramham cum Oglethorpe
National Grid Reference:
SE 44691 41325

Details

BRAMHAM CUM OGLETHORPE SPEN COMMON LANE SE44SW LS23 (west side, off) 1/51 Former aircraft hangar approx. 200 metres south-east of Headley Hall Farm

II

Former aircraft hangar, now used as barn (etc). 1916, for Royal Flying Corps; slightly altered. Timber construction, with wall panels said to be of steel and concrete laminate, segmental roof with felted cladding. Large rectangular structure approx. 50x30 metres, on east-west axis, with attached single-storey offices on north side. Laminated timber wall posts with external buttresses of the same construction, horizontal ties to these passing through the wall at mid-level and raked ties likewise passing through to the roof trusses, continuous small-paned glazing between these ties; full-height sliding doors at both ends (altered, and replaced or faced with corrugated iron sheeting), with vertical windows and central ventilator in the segmental gable. Offices on north side of similar construction. Interior:laminated timber roof trusses of segmental latticed girder construction, the outer end boarded, linked longitudinally by a pair of purlins mounted on the tie-beams, carrying closely- spaced purlins and diagonally-boarded cladding (said to be cross-diagonal laminate); some original wall lettering in the bays. History: only surviving building of No 38 TDS (Training Depot Station), Tadcaster, opened in Spring of 1916 with arrival of B Flight of 33 Squadron, and later 46 Reserve Squadron, initially for air defence of Leeds Sheffield area; subsequently TDS (normally the largest 1st World War aerodromes, bases for squadrons mobilising for overseas service); closed June 1919, used as aircraft store, later sold. Item is good example of its type and date; same construction as at RAF Museum, Hendon, and Duxford Airfield, Cambridgeshire. References: Imperial War Museum (ref 105/SE/445 413) and Bruce Robertson Aviation Archaeology 2nd edition 1983 especially pp 41-44 and Appendix A.

Listing NGR: SE4469141325

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
342211
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Robertson, B, Aviation Archaeology, (1983), 41-44
Robertson, B, Aviation Archaeology, (1983), Appendix A

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/08571/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David H. Garbutt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].